Forums are back in action! ×

All I want know about zombies

A zombie is driven by instinct to pass along the zombie gene. By eating each other, they accomplish nothing. By eating the brains of a human, they increase their numbers. Brain eating is survival, not hunger.

And now you know why I am the horror geek.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Horror Geek Half Dwarf Adventurer!

My Challenge Thread is here.

I have zombies to outrun! Failure is not an option!

I always figured it was because they were rotting and they prefer non-rotting food. It would be the equivalent to someone offering you a fresh juicy burger and you saying, "No thanks, I'll have this burger that's been sitting out on the sidewalk in the hot sun for five days instead."

Guest Gemeaux
A zombie is driven by instinct to pass along the zombie gene. By eating each other, they accomplish nothing. By eating the brains of a human, they increase their numbers. Brain eating is survival, not hunger.

When the zombie invasion begins , I want you on my side .

I always figured it was because they were rotting and they prefer non-rotting food. It would be the equivalent to someone offering you a fresh juicy burger and you saying, "No thanks, I'll have this burger that's been sitting out on the sidewalk in the hot sun for five days instead."

You're both right. It's the purpose of the Virus to find Non-infected meat and infect it, it'll always recognize infected meat and like HG said, it isn't helping it's survival.

And Gem, I don't know if you've realized this, by her pic, she's already a zombie :P

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

In the case of the decomposing zombie I can understand how it's avoided but how does a zombie recognize a freshly turned zombie? Do they smell different? Or maybe there's a period if overlap?

I suppose that since zombies rarely eat a whole person it's possible for some post-infection bites to occur..they might go unnoticed but I've never heard of this happening before...

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

I suppose that since zombies rarely eat a whole person it's possible for some post-infection bites to occur..they might go unnoticed but I've never heard of this happening before...

on the Contrary, it's never rare for a Zombie to eat someone whole, they do that all the time, often times the food runs and they lose their meal, and the food becomes another Zombie. If a Zombie can eat someone whole it will, that results in the fattened zombies wandering around with their bowels hanging out

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

In theory though, as the zombie plagues spreads, wouldn't they eventually starve? If there's nothing left to eat (we've all successfully run, jumped, and wod'ed into hiding), would they then eat each other? Worse, could they evolve somehow?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Consider me oblivious, but what on earth is going on with this vampire/zombie fascination as of late?

Why zombies/vampires?

Vampires have been part of a fascination stemming back 100 years. So, it's not anything new, Ann Rice just started to make them cuddly. Joss Whedon introduced the idea of a good vampire and don't get me started on Stephanie Meyer.

Consider me oblivious, but what on earth is going on with this vampire/zombie fascination as of late?

Why zombies/vampires?

The vampire thing does go back over at least a hundred years. The theory of the popularity is that they are inherently sexual, which plays on our subconscious. The biting of the neck, until more modern gore-fests, was actually always portrayed in a very sexual way. Watch the older movies - the vampire always lowers (usually a woman) slowly, caresses the neck a bit, then bites. The woman always seems to gasp. It's a complete metaphor.

In the past few years, we can blame Stephanie Meyer for the tween obsession and making them cute and cuddly and brooding.

Zombies - I don't know for sure on this one, but I'm going with there has always been a cult following for zombie movies. They were pretty underground for a while until the Dawn of the Dead remake, which seems to have brought back into a less b-movie party crowd. Then, and I don't know which came first, but a bunch of zombie survival organizations popped up around the time Max Brooks released the Zombie Survival Guide. Then it just became a fun idea to prepare for a zombie apocalypse. The fact that it's 2012 and the whole Mayan calendar thing seems to have increased the activity within the past year or so.

Oh, and yes, my fellow nerds are all welcome in my survival troop.

In theory though, as the zombie plagues spreads, wouldn't they eventually starve? If there's nothing left to eat (we've all successfully run, jumped, and wod'ed into hiding), would they then eat each other? Worse, could they evolve somehow?

They won't starve. They have no need for food. They only attack to spread the virus.

Evolve? That is always a possibility. But by the time that happens we'd all be gone anyway and it will be Zombie Planet.

They won't starve. They have no need for food. They only attack to spread the virus.

Evolve? That is always a possibility. But by the time that happens we'd all be gone anyway and it will be Zombie Planet.

Well that's just no fun.

All things I was going to say, but since there is already a knowledgeable zombie lover here, I will just say "what she said".

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

Is that a zombie unicorn in your sig?? That's awesome!

Haha yes it is! Squad U for this 6 week challenge voted on the name Undead Unicorns and that is the logo someone drew (but I am definitely keeping that long after this 6WC).

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

All things I was going to say, but since there is already a knowledgeable zombie lover here, I will just say "what she said".

And I shall giggle in response to the "what she said" comment. Commencing giggling

Tee hee! ^_^

Giggling completed.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Unlikely, given the number of WMA practioners and the fact that zombies are the world's worst equipped light infantry.

You think the Spartans did well with their technological and terrain force multipliers at Thermopylae? While they were trained to soldiering perfection, they were also facing a trained and confident military force. Zombies are an unarmed mob.

Unlikely, given the number of WMA practioners and the fact that zombies are the world's worst equipped light infantry.

You think the Spartans did well with their technological and terrain force multipliers at Thermopylae? While they were trained to soldiering perfection, they were also facing a trained and confident military force. Zombies are an unarmed mob.

Well, the question specifically asked in the scenario that all the food (humans) were gone. So I stand by my answer.

However, while I see your point, it depends on how fast the virus spreads and if it starts in multiple locations (Dawn of the Dead/Walking Dead) or does it start with one and spread (Ahh! Zombies!)? If the answer is one, no doubt we'd win. Multiple locations? We're more likely to get swarmed before enough people had a chance to mobilize. ESPECIALLY if the USA were hit in multiple places at once. With the obesity rate and the complete lack of physical education in schools, there aren't enough people that could outrun them, so it would spread pretty quickly. It gets much harder once they are in mob form, even for well trained zombie warriors.

Now, see how important it is to get the obesity rate down and get physical education back in schools?? When the Zombie Apocalypse hits, our lives will literally depend on it!!

I think I actually just stunned myself at the level of nerdiness I am capable of.

You're not the only one stunned O_o

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler