Forums are back in action! ×

All I want know about zombies

From what I understand, this is the first year. It's been wildly popular, so I would not be surprised for it to continue and become annual.

WHOOO HOOOO!! I'll be ready for it!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

btw... you all should read the Zombie Survival Guide. I'm also excited for when World War Z, based off the book, comes out in theaters next year.

I've read the survival guide. I know I started World War Z, but somehow got distracted and didn't get too far. (I usually have 3 or 4 books going at a time...that is not unusual for me.) I intend to get back to it soon so I can finish it. I hadn't heard they were making a movie, so that's exiting news!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Horror Geek Half Dwarf Adventurer!

My Challenge Thread is here.

I have zombies to outrun! Failure is not an option!

I've read the survival guide. I know I started World War Z, but somehow got distracted and didn't get too far. (I usually have 3 or 4 books going at a time...that is not unusual for me.) I intend to get back to it soon so I can finish it. I hadn't heard they were making a movie, so that's exiting news!

Really? Max Brooks is helping out too, Brad Pitt's the main Protagonist, I believe, although I'm not sure how that's going to work, with it being a bunch of collective stories.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Really? Max Brooks is helping out too, Brad Pitt's the main Protagonist, I believe, although I'm not sure how that's going to work, with it being a bunch of collective stories.

I've been slacking on my IMDB reading. So many web sites, so little time.

Aww man, how'd I miss this thread for so long. But I've got a couple of points/questions.

Viruses hijack cells to replicate, if it controls the whole host body wouldn't it be a parasite? Can viruses be parasites on that level? (Sorry, I didn't mean to be that guy, basically being a geologist I'm just qualified to tell you they're not rocks, maybe a biologist would be better here)

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Aww man, how'd I miss this thread for so long. But I've got a couple of points/questions.

Viruses hijack cells to replicate, if it controls the whole host body wouldn't it be a parasite? Can viruses be parasites on that level? (Sorry, I didn't mean to be that guy, basically being a geologist I'm just qualified to tell you they're not rocks, maybe a biologist would be better here)

Biologist stepping in here. Viruses cannot be a parasite, because of the definition of both, A virus according to all Biological standards are considered NOT living, where as a Parasite is considered LIVING, as per the relationship it bears with whatever it's sucking the life out of with. Controlling the whole host body is in the Genetic program the Virus carries, like a flu, it serves no other purpose but to carry out the program. it has no choice in it whatsoever.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

btw... you all should read the Zombie Survival Guide. I'm also excited for when World War Z, based off the book, comes out in theaters next year.

Just sayin: I was at the centers for disease c****** and got my entire working group talking about the zombie apocalypse and that book. Guy at my table had actually worked in a store where on a down day, they got the whole store set for zombies according to the book. I had a great time at that meeting.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Just sayin: I was at the centers for disease c****** and got my entire working group talking about the zombie apocalypse and that book. Guy at my table had actually worked in a store where on a down day, they got the whole store set for zombies according to the book. I had a great time at that meeting.

So, I'm hoping you know about this right?

http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies.htm

It's the Center for Disease Control and Prevention on Zombie preparedness.

Here's their preparation 101:

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

I had to create a SharePoint site at work and I wanted to see if people were actually going there and using it. So, me being me, I strategically placed a word doc fully explaining how to survive a zombie attack. I used a lot from that CDC site actually.

It took my boss 10 minutes to find it and he deleted it. Boo. I thought it was genius.

I know, right? I wish more people had a sense of humour in the office. Work would suck much less.

Well as the old saying goes: "If work was fun, it wouldn't be work."

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Fungi are able to. However, fungi also have cells to produce neuro-affective chemicals. Although maybe the virus could make the host's cells produce those?

This is a great thread! Ahh!

I have to ask... there's so many "breeds" (for lack of a better term) of zombies, what should we prepare for?

Like.. there's the zombies from Left 4 Dead and Nazi Zombies who are uber fast and can withstand some bullets, which can be dangerous in just numbers of 5 or less. But there's also the Dead Rising type who are very slow and very stupid, but dangerous in large numbers. Which should I prepare for? Should I work on my interval training to outrun the fast bulletsponges, or should I focus on my deadlift so I can pick up a parkbench and throw it into a mob of 20 slow zombies?

Current life goals:

Eat Paleo | Work Primal | Find a Job | Relax | Get more sleep

April 2012 goals:

10 Chin-ups | 45 Push-ups | Cut out sugary snacks

"The 'amazing' can only be created by facing fear, risk, and failure during the process." -Joel Brown

"A brave man is not a man who is not afraid, but one who's will is stronger than his fear." -Unknown

This is a great thread! Ahh!

I have to ask... there's so many "breeds" (for lack of a better term) of zombies, what should we prepare for?

Like.. there's the zombies from Left 4 Dead and Nazi Zombies who are uber fast and can withstand some bullets, which can be dangerous in just numbers of 5 or less. But there's also the Dead Rising type who are very slow and very stupid, but dangerous in large numbers. Which should I prepare for? Should I work on my interval training to outrun the fast bulletsponges, or should I focus on my deadlift so I can pick up a parkbench and throw it into a mob of 20 slow zombies?

Both. You never know which virus will show up first.

This morning's conversation in my house (not kidding):

Me: Yeah, but I'm not sure box jumps really help with getting away from zombies. Jumping from really high places (or super power jumping), yea, but crossfit box jumps? not so much.

Husband: True. But at least jumping up on stuff can get you away from zombies.

Me: Can zombies climb?

Husband: dunno. They can smash through stuff.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Both. You never know which virus will show up first.

There's two different viruses? O_O

So that essentially doubles the chances of a zombie apocalypse occurring. Wonderful.

Current life goals:

April 2012 goals:

"The 'amazing' can only be created by facing fear, risk, and failure during the process." -Joel Brown

"A brave man is not a man who is not afraid, but one who's will is stronger than his fear." -Unknown

This morning's conversation in my house (not kidding):

Me: Yeah, but I'm not sure box jumps really help with getting away from zombies. Jumping from really high places (or super power jumping), yea, but crossfit box jumps? not so much.

Husband: True. But at least jumping up on stuff can get you away from zombies.

Me: Can zombies climb?

Husband: dunno. They can smash through stuff.

Excellent. The more prepared you are, the better. More people need to be discussing this.

HorrorGeek, I'm TOTALLY coming to MO in the case of a zombie outbreak. You're not terribly far away from me, and it seems you know your shit. XD

Current life goals:

April 2012 goals:

There's two different viruses? O_O

So that essentially doubles the chances of a zombie apocalypse occurring. Wonderful.

Absolutely. The one that causes the slow ones, and the one that causes the fast ones. Both are very dangerous in their own way. The slow movers prefer groups, so they will come in a swarm. You may be able to outrun one swarm, but run right into another. If not careful, you'll be surrounded. The fast movers, however, are far more aggressive and difficult to outrun, but don't swarm nearly as much. They are competitive with each other on how many people they turn.

Running, agility, tree climbing all good skills. (They can climb, but often forget to look up. So if you are quiet, they'll pass you by.)

And Nutella.