Forums are back in action! ×

Weaker than a...hmmm. Even lambs would beat me up.

I've been stalking NF for a while now, and have been too ashamed to join up. I don't trust my resolve to stick with anything long enough to see results, and all of the superhuman success stories make me shake in my self-conscious boots.

But it's been too long now, and if I fail, well, I'll have to suck it up and accept that. The alternative, of course, is to NEVER ACCEPT FAILURE.

I used to be sporty, not crazy fit, but I held a black belt in Zen Do Kai and would run a half hour each day. Now I realise how much of my fitness I took for granted. I left home, stopped exercising and lost a ridiculous amount of weight. Now I'm a bit better off than the waif of a human I was 6 months back, but I don't want to settle for 'a bit better.' I want levels of badass-ery as yet unseen!

I'm a destitute student who is quite uncomfortable in gyms, and am easily distracted - gnats have a longer attention span than I do. So thus far I've settled on the need for a strict routine and plan which utilises body weight. The idea of an assassin class really appeals to me, and I'd love to be able to do the gravity-defying yoga routines with hand and headstands.

I guess I'm posting in the hope of some plans/tips on where to start. I've looked over the beginner's bodyweight workouts, and Steve's right - the warm-up is all I can handle right now, and then I'm toast the day after! So if anyone has been in a similar situation, or just has anything at all to add, it'd be awesome to hear your thoughts/challenges/testimonials.

Welcome!

From one newb to another - the best tip I have is...start. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum, being about as waif-like as Jabba the Hut. And close to the same size. But sitting around and thinking about it, or wishing for a change has yet to accomplish anything. So, the other day, I just started. I did Steve's Angry Birds workout and three days later, I'm finally able to stand/sit without screaming. But with that soreness comes the feeling of accomplishment. I started. So now, I keep going.

The decision to start has to be yours. Take that first step. Then, once you do, come here regularly for support and encouragement to keep going. I've been here less than a week and I already feel like I have found a bit of a home.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Horror Geek Half Dwarf Adventurer!

My Challenge Thread is here.

I have zombies to outrun! Failure is not an option!

Yea you!!! you've already taken a big step, right? This is a great place for support - so chime in and start asking questions.

As to where to start: My husband swears by this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-fitness/#axzz1rXvSOyAv which you can get emailed to you for free. Start at the very beginning (a very good place to start...). I also like the folks at zombiefit. Start with warm ups and see how that goes. With youtube, you can find vids on everything to show you what to do. Then, work up to their first level workouts. Scale them to suit you. For example, if you are ready for squats and it calls for 50 but you aren't there, do 20. Do 21 next week, do 25 the next week, etc. You'll get there.

As for a gym - if you are a poor uni student and you have a gym, GO! Distraction is okay (I get distracted too). But you'll have access to mirrors to check form, access to bosu, swiss balls, dumbbells, etc. I have a love/hate relationship with my gym.

Also, given your interest in yoga (and the cute bunnies!), try a yoga class if they offer one at the gym. Doing yoga is a great way to start in fitness. I love yoga for overall conditioning. And yeah, it can build a lot of strength in the core to get you ready for more body weight stuff.

Rock on!!!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.