Forums are back in action! ×

Sprint recovery time?

At boot camp on Saturday we did a lot of sprints. I really tried and was actually successful at sprinting. I'd say we did about 10 50 yd sprints (not huge but enough given most people there don't sprint ever and most were jogging their sprints).

I haven't sprinted since before I broke my ankle (2007) and since I've had all these surgeries.

Yesterday we did a 5 mi trek in about 1 hr 20 mins (some hills, some flat, mostly paved) and played frisbee catch for about 45 mins.

So walking to work today (about 1.6 mi) I'm still feeling a bit tight in my calves and had the starts of shin splints in one leg. Not bad but it's there. I train tonight and figured I'd be fully recovered.

is this just old age, poor conditioning, etc.? or does it take a while to recover from sprints versus a regular jog?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Sounds like you might have overdone it just a touch, so it may take a couple extra days to recover.

When you're sprinting, you use slightly different muscles to when you run distance. Also your sprinting form may be a little bit off from lack of use.

It's really important, especially when you're doing something your body isn't used to, to warm up before hand an five yourself a nice long cool down and stretch when you're done. This will reduce the soreness.

For now, just ease back your running load a little, stretch a lot, and try to get some heat in your legs...a bath is good. If you have a foam roller, give your let's a good going over.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

What Dawsy said. Also add heel walks into your warmups and/or cooldowns. Really helps balance out all the time spent on the forefeet during running and jumping activities, especially in light of shin splint type pain.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Actually, I was good and warmed up (thank goodness the instructor is good). BUT it is totally a different type of soreness so knowing the muscles are different (which I suspected but wasn't sure) actually helps me a lot!! Thank you! And I'll foam roll tonight after training and I'm going to do those heel walks! that looks great! many thanks for that.

BTW, I also did a lot of jumping on Thurs and Fri, so yeah, probably over did it. I need to hear that from other people sometimes. *sigh*

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.