Forums are back in action! ×

Hullo all!

I'm James Penhallurick, a games design graduate, and currently self employed illustrator!

I'm not entirely new to fitness and health, just over 3 years ago I was quite active, going to the gym at least 3 times a week, generally being more active than I am now!

I've been on and off routines for the last 2 years, and now that I'm less busy in life, I've decided enough is enough! I want to get back to doing it all properly as I really enjoyed it! 

I do have a gym membership but I'm totally open to trying out new things, I'm relatively average size, bulked up a bit, currently looking to lose a little bit of pudge to get some definition, but ultimately I would like to be bigger, muscle wise.

I've taken a look at the main site and there's so many awesome resources to see but I have no idea where to start, so I figured I'd post here!

I'm looking to ease myself back into it all, but keep it interesting so I don't lose that initial motivation burst! Would love some suggestions!

Also I'll add a photo of my derpy self if it gives you an idea of my current size.

Many thanks,

James

Snapchat-1660131813.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to NF, James! 

Sounds like you know exactly what you want and how to get there, which is great. Just remember slow and steady sustainable changes over time are the key to lasting success. 

We're coming up on the end of the current 4-Week Challenge, but I would encourage you to poke around a few challenge threads to get a sense of how people set them up. 4WCs are a great way to stay accountable and get a crew together for some steady encouragement. You can use the time before the next one starts to prepare, and even fill out a planning worksheet if you want (although it's not required, they are a good tool for thinking about future goals). 

Let us know if you have any questions about the forums, your plan of attack, or whatever. In my experience the community here is very friendly, and we're all happy to help out anytime!

• Like 1

You mention in your original post that you're open to suggestions, like new things, want to lose a bit of fat, ultimately put on some muscle and do it all properly.

'Bout right? :)

If the initial part of your goal is fat loss, diet is going to be huge. There are a bunch of resources around the site (and elsewhere on the web) about cleaning up your diet, whatever that means for you.

Are you planning on a weight lifting kind of fitness plan with your gym membership? Running? Crossfit? Martial arts? Yoga? Parkour? Other (I'm definitely an 'other')?

Everyone's definition of fitness is a little different. What does "doing it all properly" mean to you?

There is a ton of information and support in this community so definitely jump on that motivation while you have it.

• Like 2