Forums are back in action! ×

What's up follow NERDS?! 

Okay, Here's the story:

The name is Cat, I've never been a thin person. My mom was always more about making me happy, than making me healthy. I didn't REALLY start gaining until my teens, and then 20's. Over the last few years I've gained and lost a bit. Last year a friend and I decided to make a change and jumped on the SouthBeach band wagon. We both lost weight. I lost 25 lbs in a couple of months, I was ecstatic, and vowed to never get over 200lbs again. Well, once I moved to a different city it got harder. My friend went off her diet, and I actually lasted about a month longer than her which was a huge surprise to me. Also, I was back at my lovingly enabling mother's house where no many how many times I asked her NOT to bring me my favorite treats, she just couldn't help herself. So, here I am back at almost 200lbs and feeling like Chunk again.

giphy.gif.de074ddfe44b73a32664c8023478ffb2.gif

But that's okay! I've joined the rebellion, and I'm feeling committed to becoming a god-damned super-hero! 

giphy.gif

So, I just need other people to keep me accountable and remind me that......

Goonies Never Say Die

• Like 2

Welcome to NF, Cat! Let us know if you need any help finding your way around or figuring out anything regarding the forums. 

A new four week challenge just started this weekend if you'd like to jump in! You can check out the 4WCs here. Usually newcomers start with Rebel, but of course if there's another guild you feel strongly you'd fit in better with, you can start there instead. 

• Like 1

Hey hey Kitty! Welcome to the rebellion! So what is your plan? You mentioned diet, but what about exercise? What about your goals?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Thanks Everyone,

Well, I'm going to start with this beginners bodyweight workout and see where it goes. I only found this site the night before last (by total accident) and I'm just stoked to be with fellow nerds for this journey to be honest. I had no idea there was such a thing, and said "These are my people" signed up, ordered the book (which just arrived today), and am diving in head first. If you guys have any suggestions for an out of shape total n00b to fitness, I'd love to have input.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, KittyDisaster said:

total happy little accident

FTFY (as I can only imagine the voice of Bob Ross working his paintings and happy little trees)

This is a pretty amazing community and I for one am glad to be a part of it.

As for advice, for most the 4-week challenges are great starting points so you can focus on actionable items to accomplish goals.  Work on building the habits of eating well (Rule #4: "How we fuel our bodies is 80 percent of the battle") combined with building the habit of working out (by any fun means it takes; doesn't mean the workout has to be done in a gym or endless reps of an exercise you hate because "that's how we got fit").  For the working out, I'd set a time during the days when you decide you will do the fun thing because you want to and make that time a priority above all others; coworkers invite you to a party during your work out time? "Nope, going to go do *fun thing* but I will catch you guys afterwards!" Computer sucks you in to read all the sites? Turn off the monitor and go do fun thing, then get back to reading all the sites. TV show comes on during a workout? Record or find a means to watch it later in favor of doing the fun thing. 

Humans are terribly great at justification which may prevent the building of good habits; the better you avoid justifying not eating well or working out the more likely it is you build the habit.

Take things slow, make small changes as making all the changes at once can be overwhelming.  If 4 things are too much, scale to 3, 2, or even 1 thing to change. Once that 1 thing is habitual, work on thing 2; when one goal is accomplished, make another (more steps tomorrow, longer distances, more weights, more reps, etc).

Don't let one bad minute justify a bad hour to justify a bad day, to a week, to a month.  Hit the continue button and respawn a little better than your past self.

Most importantly, know you are going to do great things and you are awesome just for being here wanting to improve yourself!

• Like 2

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray

The Bob Ross thing was great lol

That's a great idea, tying the workout mentally to a fun activity. It will tie in great too, because my first ***QUEST!*** is called "Defeating the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man"...I'll just say, "Welp, I'm off to play Ghostbusters!"  *scene to me attempting to moonwalk out of the situation while singing the Ghostbusters theme song*

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement:adoration:

• Like 2

Ok so now you've got goals, now what you're going to do is make plans to achieve said goals. This is where you'll experiment and do some trial-and-error and learn what works for you

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."