Forums are back in action! ×

Okay, I’ve thought a lot about this through the day and this is what I’ve come up with.

I first got into WoW after the military when I was at a low point in my life. From then on, WoW emerged whenever things were going bad in life, on the job, with my (now ex) marriage, with how I felt about things in general. It kind of sounds terrible to admit here, but I used to have negative matras I would repeat to myself. What I mean by that is I would say misanthropic things like “I hate people, places, and things” or “nothing is good in the world”. Usually I would say these things while driving from a job I was struggling at, to a failing marriage.

While the above generally makes me seem like a complete antisocial misanthrope, I think the truth is somewhat more complex. I loved WoW and vidya in general. PS3, 4, Xbox in its many iterations.

Last year I found myself at a particularly low point. After I was single again I had no furniture and somewhat of a blooming drinking problem. I would like to say that there was an “Ah-ha” moment where I turned things around, all at once.

The fact of the matter is things went slower and not all at once. A buddy of mine from work asked me to be his workout partner. I started dating a woman I had known from some years back. I took out a loan and bought some furniture! Slowly, things started to emerge on a more even keel.

I discovered Nerd Fitness, from, of all places, Art of Manliness. I had been studying the posts on that website for a little while, and I happened upon level up your life. A few days ago I created a character, Kable, and set up my first few epic quests.

What I want to do is set myself as the character in this story. Basically, live vicariously through myself. Kable is a warrior. He is strong and intelligent, respected at work among his peers. He lifts weights and exercises his mind. There is a picture in my minds eye of Kable at level 50. That is what I’m aiming for. The road is long and winding and not entirely free from peril, but at long last I’m moving down it instead of being stuck in front of a screen.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Rebellion Kable!

I see you have the far end goal in your mind and they're certainly great goals to have; have you set up some near term goals to get to level 2 on the path to level 50? Most members create a 4-week challenge to accomplish short term goals and progress to the long term; Rebels is a great place to put in your first challenge thread following Spezzy's super-awesome-walkthrough.

Feel free to ask any questions you have for us and let us know how we can help!

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray