Forums are back in action! ×

The Future of Nerd Fitness

Recently Steve posted an article mentioning that someday he would like to open a Nerd Fitness Gyms. We all have our fingers crossed as OMFG seems to be just around the corner. New people are being hired to work for Steve. The forum is being rearranged. The rebellion's numbers are rapidly growing. Lately the people in this rebel community have been arguing and hugging it out in what I see as a self identification process.

This one man show has changed and will continue to change into something bigger. But what will that something be? While Steve and Spezzy seem to wear the pants in this community, the opinions and suggestions of the people as a whole are valued in a way seldom found on this big internet.

So it is worth discussing:

Where would you like to see the community, website, brand, and family of Nerd Fitness go in the future?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Jump Rope Rotations: 20,500/80,000

What is Dead May Never Die, but Rise Again, Harder and Stronger

I would love to see a chain of NF gyms, because they could be very, very simple to set up. Some Big Three equipment (squat stand, bars and benches), a crapton of freeweights and kettlebells, a dozen heavybags, wall-mounted bars and overhead rings... and you could practically set this up in any overheight commercial space. You could have an NFG in between a Mark's Wearhouse and a Starbucks without too much trouble.

And, of course, you'd need a section for LAN parties.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I would love to see a chain of NF gyms, because they could be very, very simple to set up. Some Big Three equipment (squat stand, bars and benches), a crapton of freeweights and kettlebells, a dozen heavybags, wall-mounted bars and overhead rings... and you could practically set this up in any overheight commercial space. You could have an NFG in between a Mark's Wearhouse and a Starbucks without too much trouble.

And, of course, you'd need a section for LAN parties.

Yes, yes, 1000 times yes. I wholeheartedly approve. :D

Current life goals:

Eat Paleo | Work Primal | Find a Job | Relax | Get more sleep

April 2012 goals:

10 Chin-ups | 45 Push-ups | Cut out sugary snacks

"The 'amazing' can only be created by facing fear, risk, and failure during the process." -Joel Brown

"A brave man is not a man who is not afraid, but one who's will is stronger than his fear." -Unknown

I thought about this the other day, Nerd Fitness making gyms. I think it would be so awesome! Gyms and nutrition classes or something, Paleo Nutritionists, haha, count me in!! I really look forward to whatever they plan on doing and I will be excited to be considered here when NF first began! (well, not first first, but pretty close!)

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

If NF were to have a gym line, offering Warrior, Assassin, Monk, Druid, Ranger, and Scout classes would be great. All of these things could be held in the same facility without much difficulty. Pretty much the equipment of a crossfit box would be sufficient.

Also, we are a Rebel Army. A NF gym could have a miliataryish styling. Like it would be awesome to have rebel army ranks and badges to "level up" to and work towards. Sort of like how martial arts have a belt system.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't believe nobody mentioned the new role playing game (I have +3 awesomeness on my push press), the new graphic novels, and the new video games. sheesh.

Oh yeah, and I really want to work for the home office when they open gyms.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'd love to hear from the admins.

What do you think the chances are, sometime in the future, of Nerd Fitness gyms opening up? Maybe that should be on Steve's list of things to complete.

Current life goals:

Eat Paleo | Work Primal | Find a Job | Relax | Get more sleep

April 2012 goals:

10 Chin-ups | 45 Push-ups | Cut out sugary snacks

"The 'amazing' can only be created by facing fear, risk, and failure during the process." -Joel Brown

"A brave man is not a man who is not afraid, but one who's will is stronger than his fear." -Unknown

So somewhere down the road, we seem to support the NF gym. Definitely a goal to shoot towards. But before then, Nerd Fitness has to blow up in popularity. Depending on how well OMFG does, I think it could steal a lot of the fitocracy community, and make Nerd Fitness and even more common name.

In terms of short term, more rebellion meet ups would be awesome. But we are a pretty spread out community, from Argentina, to Australia, to Boston. BUT, we have the internet! Google+ has commercials for virtual hangouts using webcams. I've never tried it personally. Be it skype or google+ or even hosted the forum itself, some sort of organized webcam to webcam interaction would bring the community even closer together.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Google+ has commercials for virtual hangouts using webcams. I've never tried it personally. Be it skype or google+ or even hosted the forum itself, some sort of organized webcam to webcam interaction would bring the community even closer together.

There's something that would be awfully cool - virtual group fitness classes.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

As much as I love the idea of a nerd fitness gym, I think the way forward could be distributed groups of nerds meeting up regularly to get fit together.

Think Fight Club with exercise instead of fighting. I think it would fit in nicely with the Rebel theme and could actually work if the right people came together.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Has no one brought up the idea of Fitness/Mobility/Nutrition based webinars? I'd love to sign up for a cooking class with catspaw or an oly lifts 101 class with jdanger. Pretty sure NF could sign up for a GoToMeeting or a WebEx subscription..

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

As much as I love the idea of a nerd fitness gym, I think the way forward could be distributed groups of nerds meeting up regularly to get fit together.

Think Fight Club with exercise instead of fighting. I think it would fit in nicely with the Rebel theme and could actually work if the right people came together.

Fit Club

fitclub.jpg

Webinars would be great!

Oh man, I would absolutely love to see NF gyms. I would totally help run one if Steve would let us volunteer/apply to do so. How many NF people are there in England? I'm in a fairly decently sized area. I wonder where Steve would want to set the gyms up.

On the other hand opening a gym with a REAL attitude to fitness rather than "yeah you just wanna tone" would do wonders to swell the nerd fitness ranks.

They/them please

That's a pretty accurate description of my Crossfit box :)

We don't have heavy bags, though we do have sand bags that are used with running sometimes. Other than that, that's my box to a T :)

This. Some garage somewhere in a community, where the local community of rebels contributes weights or funds (or both) to equip the place, and then supportive get-togethers to work on different workouts. That'd be great. But I'm not sure it'd be structured enough to keep going (or that anyone would step up to provide the structure). But I can dream, right?

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

NF Gym is an amazing idea! I like LRB's view too. It made me picture kinda like a Resistance underground.. training to battle evil forces. xD

Half-Demon Adventurer (Hoping to become an Assassin)Fitocracy |Twitter

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

Has no one brought up the idea of Fitness/Mobility/Nutrition based webinars? I'd love to sign up for a cooking class with catspaw or an oly lifts 101 class with jdanger. Pretty sure NF could sign up for a GoToMeeting or a WebEx subscription..

This. Absolutely this.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I have to say I'm a little wary of OMFG because I love Fitocracy so much. I guess it would be good to consolidate my online presence but I don't want my favorite two fitness websites to be competitors. I guess it's not clear yet how much OMFG and Fitocracy would really overlap.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Guest Snake McClain

I AGREE! this would be pretty great.

sure NF gyms would be awesome. that would be great. We'd just have to be sure to find a way to be welcoming as people come in the door. Different classes for different guilds for that gym would be great too.

I really want to see this OMFG. I'm interested to know how it will work and more importantly where I fall in it. The strengths I have vs my weaknesses are pretty bizarre so i'd really like to know where i'd rank.

anyway i think there are a lot of good ideas here.