Forums are back in action! ×

The Future of Nerd Fitness

As much as I love the idea of a nerd fitness gym, I think the way forward could be distributed groups of nerds meeting up regularly to get fit together.

Think Fight Club with exercise instead of fighting. I think it would fit in nicely with the Rebel theme and could actually work if the right people came together.

The first rule of Fit Club- We ALL talk about Fit Club. To everyone. :cool-new:

As much as I love the idea of a nerd fitness gym, I think the way forward could be distributed groups of nerds meeting up regularly to get fit together.

Think Fight Club with exercise instead of fighting. I think it would fit in nicely with the Rebel theme and could actually work if the right people came together.

Heh, Deadlift Offs, Squat Offs... oh man I've got a funny image in my head (think The Warriors, or the Michael Jackson video Beat It, but with weights).

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Heh, Deadlift Offs, Squat Offs... oh man I've got a funny image in my head (think The Warriors, or the Michael Jackson video Beat It, but with weights).

Or the movie the Warriors! We could have tribes with costumes and all meet up in a big park....

Added in edit: note to self read whole thread carefully before attempting humor. Epic fail.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I just got a mental image of the Jets and Sharks from West Side Story doing a dance off in Vibrams while carrying dumb-bells and bar bells. I LOL'd.

In all seriousness though, there is something enchanting to me about the current Rebellion members forming the cadre for a broader fitness and wellbeing movement. I would totaly put my hand up to work/volunteer for the Rebellion.

In all seriousness though, there is something enchanting to me about the current Rebellion members forming the cadre for a broader fitness and well being movement.

Definitely agree with this. I know I'm part of the rebellion, but it feels like a very passive rebellion. I'd love to rebel toward a greater good more openly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Jump Rope Rotations: 20,500/80,000

What is Dead May Never Die, but Rise Again, Harder and Stronger

Definitely agree with this. I know I'm part of the rebellion, but it feels like a very passive rebellion. I'd love to rebel toward a greater good more openly.

Well, let's workshop it...what are the challenges and basic requirements to form a distributed, global fitness movement run mainly by volunteers?

Here are a few initial thoughts:

1. How do we ensure quality ?

2. Where would groups meet?

3. How to spread the word most effectively?

I keep thinking of a scene from Dune where 10 guys get trained...these 10 train 10 others, etc.

Hehe just realised I'm becoming involved in plotting a revolution... what have you done to me Steve?: )

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Well, let's workshop it...what are the challenges and basic requirements to form a distributed, global fitness movement run mainly by volunteers?

I keep thinking of a scene from Dune where 10 guys get trained...these 10 train 10 others, etc.

Hehe just realised I'm becoming involved in plotting a revolution... what have you done to me Steve?: )

I highly approve of this. We need to get the word out! I'm no expert, but I could certainly teach the basics!

Current life goals:

Eat Paleo | Work Primal | Find a Job | Relax | Get more sleep

April 2012 goals:

10 Chin-ups | 45 Push-ups | Cut out sugary snacks

"The 'amazing' can only be created by facing fear, risk, and failure during the process." -Joel Brown

"A brave man is not a man who is not afraid, but one who's will is stronger than his fear." -Unknown

How many NF people are there in England?.

there's quite a few of us (moose, Spongebob, Rosie, andygates et al) see: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5475-OK-you-Brits-make-yourselves-known for the 'et al' (it may be worth renewing that thread to so who else we've got recently) and yh, a NF gym does sound pretty awesome (i've always wanted my own gym... just not the riff raff that comes with the usual commercial ones :P)

I've toyed with the idea of setting up a short workshop on form at my local gym since NONE of the trainers or staff teach it properly. You know, just me with a sign hanging out in the dark corner where the squat rack lives.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I think 3 is the smallest concern initially. You start with a core group and let the word spread organically at first. In Pittsburgh, I would show up with two friends, and four other people show up with 2 friends twice a month. It's not CrossFit. So even though it's in some kind of bare bones setup, we aren't all necessarily there to do a set group of exercises necessarily. I think each location would turn into a thing of its own. The Fight Club analogy works well. Maybe in Pittsburgh there are a handful of runners, so our focus is more on running together and figuring out good runners' strength workouts. But up in Canada there might be more of an interest in parkour, so people work on that. Or maybe there is someone there who knows how to do a cool gymnastics move and has one day where she teaches the rest of the people how to do it.

What I'm getting at here is that in my view "ensuring quality" could be very difficult. Aside from some kind of general policy about treating everyone with respect/openness, which I think almost goes without saying.

But right now we have a "meetups" section of the forums where people can take the initiative to get together. I think where this idea sets itself apart, and what the NF business end needs to weigh in on, is the formal branding with NF. Maybe Nerd Fitness reimburses the host for up to $25 in bottled water, printouts, things of that nature. The host also gets a few dozen stickers (or posters maybe?) to put up nearby along with notices about meetings. That would encourage people who have never heard of Nerd Fitness to come out and see what it's all about.

I'm rambling here but I'm just gonna keep going. In addition to workouts and instruction from other members, there could be guest speakers and things like that. Imagine if Nerd Fitness signed some kind of deal with Mark Rippetoe and got him to do a tour of sorts, visiting these NF Gyms all over the place. He gets a bit of money and his travel paid for. NF Gym "members" get to learn how to squat/deadlift/press with proper form. The members take care of the promotion. While Rippetoe is at these events he can also peddle his wares. Just something that popped into my head as an idea for the kind of thing that could evolve out of this.

</babbling>

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross