Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie Nerd with some success but looking for more. Advice please?

So after reading this site for a couple of weeks and finally joining I thought that I'd revise my weight routine to include heavy lifting. I just started working out at the end of February after many years of bodily neglect. I reached my heaviest weight ever after New Years. (305 lbs, 6'1, 35 years old.) I had had enough. I'm currently down 19 lbs from the end of January and feeling great. My clothes are fitting better and I have more energy. I've been eating a cross between Atkins and Paleo. I'm working out a minimum of 3 days per week. (A little disheartening to think that a drop of 19 lbs is only a 6% weight loss.) :eek-new:

I don't know why but the weight room at the gym intimidated me. This past Tuesday I grew a pair and finally hit the bench press and deadlifts! OMG, deadlifts are crazy! My form was pretty good but not great. Used my back too much.

Bench Press 100lbs - Set 1=10 reps, Set2=10 reps, Set3=8 reps

Deadlifts 150lbs - Set 1=10 reps, Set2=10 reps, Set3=6 reps

My problems or downfalls: 1) I don't have a partner so I didn't want to start heavy on the bench, 2) I've had ACL reconstruction on my right knee and both knees are still pretty weak, 3) I broke my left arm at the clavicle when I was 15 and I never did physio so my left arm is way underdeveloped and much weaker than my right.

What level of weight increase should I be making for each gym session? 5lbs, 10lbs, etc?

Is there a recommended number of sets/reps I should be doing?

Is it better to do much heavier weight with low reps or low weight/more reps? (or is there a benefit to both?)

Thanks, and sorry for the rambling.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Welcome, and believe us, that is not much of a ramble...

Many of us started with/use the 5x5 plan, which aims at increasing 5# per session until you can't anymore on the 5 big complex lifts (back squat, deadlift, bench press, rows, overhead press). A quick google should find it for you.

If your gym has a squat rack or power rack with adjustable supports you can use that for benchpressing as well.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Firstly, welcome aboard!

Secondly, great progress so far! 19lbs down is nothing to scoff at my friend.

So onto your questions. For bench press, since you say you have some imbalances I would stick to dumbbells for the time being to strengthen your left arm. It is better to do it now than later down the road when the weight starts to get really heavy. Get your arms to the point where both are at similar strength levels and then move to the bar.

As for not having a partner, do you have access to a power rack where there are moveable safety pins? You could set the pins low enough to be safe. If not, practice the "roll of shame" with a lightly loaded bar so you are used to the movement if you need to bail. Thirdly, are there other people around you could ask for a spot? Like the gym staff?

I am not too well versed on ACL tears, but are you doing anything to strengthen the knees? MY usual anwser for weak knees is squat below parallel, but if you need some rehabbing the 45degree leg press machine (gasp! I know I know I said machine rebels) can be used a substitute for a while to build up mobility before moving on to full fledged squats.

And now for your other questions:

Check out beginner weight training programs like Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5. They are the most popular and for good reason. Simple, easy to remember, effective.

SS is a 3 set 5 rep program at work weights with some warm ups before hand. SL5x5 is the same basic thing except 5 sets of 5 reps. Weight increases sould be 5lbs for bench and 5-10lbs on deadlifts every time you complete a 3x5 or 5x5 workout (so each session).

As for benefits, for strength low reps heavy weight. But given your previous injuries you may want to sneak in a few higher rep lighter weight days to help loosen up the stiff joints (6-10 reps etc).

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I am not too well versed on ACL tears, but are you doing anything to strengthen the knees? MY usual anwser for weak knees is squat below parallel, but if you need some rehabbing the 45degree leg press machine (gasp! I know I know I said machine rebels) can be used a substitute for a while to build up mobility before moving on to full fledged squats.

Leg press is an excellent way to rehab the knee tendons if done right.

And now for your other questions:

Check out beginner weight training programs like Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5. They are the most popular and for good reason. Simple, easy to remember, effective.

SS is a 3 set 5 rep program at work weights with some warm ups before hand. SL5x5 is the same basic thing except 5 sets of 5 reps. Weight increases sould be 5lbs for bench and 5-10lbs on deadlifts every time you complete a 3x5 or 5x5 workout (so each session).

SL has you starting with the bar ALWAYS. SS has a protocol to determine starting weight. Also, SS has the power clean, SL has the row, which are significantly different movements.

I'd go with SS for the sole reason that Rip seems to know his stuff way better than Mehdi. Not that SL is a bad program, not at all.

As for benefits, for strength low reps heavy weight. But given your previous injuries you may want to sneak in a few higher rep lighter weight days to help loosen up the stiff joints (6-10 reps etc).

Why not do warmup sets with more reps?

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Leg press is an excellent way to rehab the knee tendons if done right.

SL has you starting with the bar ALWAYS. SS has a protocol to determine starting weight. Also, SS has the power clean, SL has the row, which are significantly different movements.

I'd go with SS for the sole reason that Rip seems to know his stuff way better than Mehdi. Not that SL is a bad program, not at all.

Why not do warmup sets with more reps?

All great points as usual Phi.

You can definitely warm up with higher reps, I do this. But given the previous injuries it may be beneficial to work in a day solely focused on light weight high rep scheme for endurance sake as well as focusing on mobility type stuff.

Oh yeah, don't forget to check out MobilityWOD. It is a great set of videos for getting more flexible.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Awesome, thanks guys! I appreciate the responses. I will definitely look into SL and SS.

Best advice to newbies = read CAREFULLY starting strength and stronglifts, definitely.

ALWAYS remember to keep a GREAT form on exercises and ALWAYS remember to start light. Do NOT start heavy, bro. Keep the slow but continuous progression, instead.

You will probably get more motivated, stronger joints, stronger power of will (totally serious) and use your muscles more efficiently this way.

And last, but not least, don't go berserk on your diet, you will need energy.

"Death isn't sad. The sad thing is most people don't live at all"