Forums are back in action! ×

Step 1 for developing strength?

So, I've been inactive for a while, but I'm back on track now. I've tried to keep my diet as Paleo as I could and I feel a lot better, but I went to the 1 week Ignatian Spiritual Exercises and, now I'm back to normal life, recovering and ready to go.

It's just that, I just finished doing about 40 push ups, on my knees, in 4 reps, I noticed how my arms get EXTREMELY weak, specially my left arm, my legs are pretty strong (Ithink), but my arms, oh god.

Any tips? Where can I start?

Thanks a lot.

Urban Druid

Human

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1

Str: 1 Dex: 2 Sta: 3 Con: 2 Wis: 5 Cha: 2

""Wthout love I'm nothing"

Pushups are always a good place to start.

you completed 40ish knee pushups in one go? If so, try doing something along the lines of 3 sets of 10, or even 5 sets of 5 regular pushups (if you can't get 3x10 out) to increase the intensity of the exercise.

Bodyweight squats are always good too, something about helping generate the required hormones to increase muscle growth/energyburn. if you need assistance you can use a chair to help you keep balance.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Bodyweight exercises are probably the best to build a base of strength. Like Pat G said, pushups and squats are two of my favorites. Check out the free resources on the blog for some good routines that will get all your muscles in.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

well, as people already said, bodyweight exercises are a great way to start gaining some strength, muscle mass, to improve the form and your body consciousness/awareness (really don't know the right way to spell it in english, lol).

as you evolve in the bodyweight exercises, you should take care of your mobility issues, if you have, and start learning the correct form of execution of the basic weight exercises (like back squats, military presses, deadlifts, rows, bench presses, and such) and then start doing some kind of progression on them.

"Death isn't sad. The sad thing is most people don't live at all"

Pick up heavy shit. :)

Andy has, in four words, told you all anyone ever needs to know.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.