Forums are back in action! ×

Beginner's Training Questions for 5K Obstacle Courses/Runs

JanObe

So my husband and I signed up for the Colorado Warrior Dash (mid August) and the Zombie 5k Obstacle Course (mid July). We are needing cardio and strength so we have started this plan:

couch25k (I am a new runner and he hasn't run in awhile) Tue/Th/Sat

Weights (low/mid/high rep each once a week) W/F/Sun

Monday is our break

We have been lifting weights for awhile (high rep only), but are now struggling with plateauing so my husband is writing up a new plan to add in muscle confusion and to add in the low/mid reps so that we have power, burst, and endurance (nerd fitness article).

What would you guys do differently if you were training? What do you think is good training for obstacle course 5ks? Any foods/drinks in particular that you prefer to eat while training (our diet is Paleo-ish - grey Paleo is just fine to us so dairy and potatoes are included)?

Ready to get fit and strong!

Yeah, this does look pretty good.

I've never done Couch25k but I know people who've had pretty good success as long as you stick to it. If you were going to run a longer distance like a half marathon or something I'd suggest running 5 days out of the week and strength training on two, which is what I do, but for purposes of a 5k your plan should have you in really good shape.

This is great... I'm totally going to follow this thread. I just found out that one of my favorite charities is doing an Urban obstacle course 5K in mid-July and I'm really tempted to sign up. (Despite not being a regular runner for the past 15 years. :-/)

Tips galore needed!

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

It looks really good! It looks a lot like the plan i used to follow when i was dropping some lbs. Best of luck to both of you!

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

What you are doing is very similar to what I'm doing. Once I finish with couch 2 5k, I'll start moving toward having a distance day, a speed day (run 5k, try to reduce time), and a interval/sprints day. I already do something similar to this with my strength days. Right now, M/F are my pure strength days and Wednesday is my isometric day and I'm trying to move toward having Friday be my plyometric day (jump squats, burpees, jump rope, etc.). Essentially, it's the same endurance/burst/combo break down. This is all based off of stuff that I have read, but I'm not prepared to provide any links (I never save links). I have seen great improvement by adding in isometrics and I've read a bit about how adding plyometrics dramatically increases your strength.

That's really the only thing I can suggest, though.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

What you are doing is very similar to what I'm doing. Once I finish with couch 2 5k, I'll start moving toward having a distance day, a speed day (run 5k, try to reduce time), and a interval/sprints day. I already do something similar to this with my strength days. Right now, M/F are my pure strength days and Wednesday is my isometric day and I'm trying to move toward having Friday be my plyometric day (jump squats, burpees, jump rope, etc.). Essentially, it's the same endurance/burst/combo break down. This is all based off of stuff that I have read, but I'm not prepared to provide any links (I never save links). I have seen great improvement by adding in isometrics and I've read a bit about how adding plyometrics dramatically increases your strength.

That's really the only thing I can suggest, though.

I am so beginner that I had to look up half of what you just said. I like what you say a lot about distance day, speed day, and interval/sprint day because in the Zombie race I am thinking there will be a lot of Interval/sprint involved to get awaaaaaaaaaay.

Looking up the terms isometric and plyometrics for some of your strength days... thanks for the examples for the plyometrics days :) that helped lol. Still not sure what you mean by isometric day though.

Ready to get fit and strong!

I am so beginner that I had to look up half of what you just said. I like what you say a lot about distance day, speed day, and interval/sprint day because in the Zombie race I am thinking there will be a lot of Interval/sprint involved to get awaaaaaaaaaay.

Looking up the terms isometric and plyometrics for some of your strength days... thanks for the examples for the plyometrics days :) that helped lol. Still not sure what you mean by isometric day though.

Isometrics are where you hold yourself in a static position for as long as possible. Isometric pushups are where you hold yourself at the bottom of the pushup for as long as possible. Isometric pullups are where you hold yourself at the top of the pullup for as long as possible. I try to combine isometric pushups, planks, and side planks into one long workout (like Iso PU, plank, side plank left, plank, side plank right, plank, Iso PU). Wall sits are another one that help a lot with squats. I found that an Isometric short bridge/hip raise really, really works your hamstrings. I don't usually work my calves because I run on opposite days from strength, but a good Isometric calf exercise is to place just one forefoot on a step and try to hold your balance for as long as possible (don't use your hands for help). When your calf is burning and you can't do anymore, switch to the other foot and repeat.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Archived