Forums are back in action! ×

Math Concern

I attend a college where I am allowed to create my own curriculum. Today I approached an advisor with the idea of getting my math credits through a Nutrition and then Fitness study. I had one advisor tell me it was a great idea. However, the Math-Guru advisor said I could, “probably find some statistics, but not find enough math information to add up to a math credit.â€

It broke my heart, and I want to prove him wrong.

What about IF? What about BMI? What about reps vs. weight = different types of gains? What about fat% vs carbs% vs protein %? What about success%? What about injury %?

Does anyone else have any ideas to throw this way?

Are there any books you could recommend as references?

So you know, one of the important parts of being here is having access to our community for brain storming, so this questioning of others is encouraged. ;^)

EFT: Does it ever burden you to ROCK so much?!?

161803398874989: I know of another student who wrote a paper on "The History of the Number Zero" and achieved his math credits... it's more about being able to crank out an outstanding 20 page academic paper in 3 weeks, grow as a person, connect to the community, better the world, include projects and internships, and prove what I've learned. I'm concerned about the 20 pages worth of useful content... thanks for the vote for statistics 8^D

You can do a paper on the paradoxal nature of mathematics: how can you be sure that everything is applicable to reality? Albert Einstein once said: "As far as the conclusions of mathematics are related to reality, they are not sure. And as far as they are sure, they don't relate to reality." This is a HUGE subject within mathematics, to the extent that we have an entire course discussing it. The debate started in the old age, with Plato vs Aristoteles (what is mathematics about?), through Newton (calculus), to Euler (functions), to Russell (Russell's paradox) to Cantor (uncountable infinity), Hilbert (AXIOMIZE ALL THE THINGS), to Von Neumann and Gödel (incompleteness theorem).

I've got a 50-page paper laying in front of me on just those subjects. It includes a lot of rigorous mathematics, but not much history, so a 20-page paper on this subject is very doable. If it could be done in 3 weeks, I don't know. :P

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

I attend a college where I am allowed to create my own curriculum. Today I approached an advisor with the idea of getting my math credits through a Nutrition and then Fitness study. I had one advisor tell me it was a great idea. However, the Math-Guru advisor said I could, “probably find some statistics, but not find enough math information to add up to a math credit.”

)

What does guru mean "not enough math"? If guru means you need a basic set of math skills (algebra, graphing, geometry, etc), then you probably do need more. Basic stats is so not much math (I used to teach stats at a university).

But, that doesn't mean give it up. Think about math (and physics) of sport! It is such a cool field. For example, you could attempt to maximize distance thrown of various objects by projecting values through formulas and accounting for individual differences....

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Archived