Forums are back in action! ×

TRX

Roflhouse

ETF Nerd suggested I talk through what TRX training is - I'm a huge fan of it and think it might be of interest to the community.

TRWhat?

Its a suspension trainer - it looks[ATTACH=CONFIG]2623[/ATTACH] like this. Two nylon straps with handles on the end, in a v shape. You can hook the vertex of the v on a door, wall, pole, or branch. Hooray for outside! It was invented by a navy SEAL to work out when he's on our tour, so its portable and pretty functional. Pretty doable to build at home too.

You then do a variety of different exercises on it - the ones in the pictures are some examples. So from top left clockwise, pushup, pike (awesome for lower abs), yoga pose I'm unsure of, and one legged lunges. Here's another one that's called an atomic pushup - [ATTACH=CONFIG]2624[/ATTACH]. There are loads of exercises on you tube, worth a look.

This gives you an idea of the variety of it.

So why?

Its great resistance training; like free weights you have to use all the little stablising muscles as you move, its great for strengthening your core. Its also really, really fun. Hooking your feet up and swinging through the air is really fun. Balancing just on your hands is really fun. As it supports part of your bodyweight, it allows you to work towards harder and harder exercises By changing your body angle vs the floor, you vary the weight the TRX is supporting and therefore the difficulty of the exercise. Here's a cool study on using it for conditioning - small sample size, but to summarise, people kept doing TRX more than other forms of conditioning.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/8-wks-cosgrove-jb-results

I've been using it a couple of time a month since November in a class- I've noticed much better balance, flexibility, mobility and increases in strength - I workout in Vibrams so one legged lunges are quite a challenge to not fall over. My left side is definitely weaker than my right so one legged squats and lunges on the left, allow me to strengthen well and correct those imbalances. And I've gone from not being able to do any pikes or side twists to doing 10. Next is getting my hips really high. Body rows really help towards pullups. Its also just fun. London's warming up so I'm going to try to get a weekly class doing this outdoors.

Hope this is of interest - any questions post below and I'll try to answer or point you to someone who knows more than me. I think it can be a really fun addition - I recommend giving it a go if you can find a class or if there's one in your gym.

post-5098-1356724356075_thumb.jpg

post-5098-13567243560907_thumb.jpg

Privateer Adventurer

STR 4.75 | DEX 1 | STA 6.75| CON 2 | WIS 5| CHA 3

I've got a question for you. I just joined a new gym about a week ago and they've got a couple sets of TRXs. I'm working on another program (New Rules of Lifting) at the moment, but I was wondering if there was a way to incorporate TRX into a warm up or a cool down. Thoughts?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

That looks fun. I can see hanging it to a tree to have some more outside options.

Do you see this as a complete system or supplemental? What's the learning curve like, do you need to take a class or can you just get one and go? I haven't seen one in person, is it just straps and handles?

ETF - What's better resistance bands or TRX?

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I've got a question for you. I just joined a new gym about a week ago and they've got a couple sets of TRXs. I'm working on another program (New Rules of Lifting) at the moment, but I was wondering if there was a way to incorporate TRX into a warm up or a cool down. Thoughts?

Warm up: This video

has some good suggestions for warm up.

Cool down/strecthing:

One of the PTs in the gym should be able to talk you through how to adjust the straps, its not complicated though.

Privateer Adventurer

That looks fun. I can see hanging it to a tree to have some more outside options.

Do you see this as a complete system or supplemental? What's the learning curve like, do you need to take a class or can you just get one and go? I haven't seen one in person, is it just straps and handles?

Complete v supplemental - As ever I think it depends on your goals. I'm using it in addition to squats/deadlift/bench, and seeing good results. Its very similar to bodyweight training and as a full routine can come from that, its could be a complete system. I think people use it more as a supplement or for conditioning rather than pure strength but I think that's more because MMA people love it and love their conditioning. For fun I did a class with heart rate monitor on and was generally at 70-80% of my max, this was in a non-conditioning session of general circuits. We got me up to 85% doing some speed skating hops for a minute.

Learning curve - I think if you're familiar with good form for bodyweight exercises, you can transfer that to the TRX quite easily just from watching videos. If you're less familiar with that, I'd probably recommend a class so you can nail form down. A class can be good too for seeing the range of exercises you can do but again their are tons of you tube videos showing the type of stuff you can try. I probably wouldn't skip straight to advanced stuff balancing on one hand until you've had a bit of practice - standard sensibleness.

Straps and handles - Yes, it is basically this, straps are adjustable, the handle is foam covered so you don't hurt your hands - I think if you buy the official one, you get a door mount too, so it can hook over a door -the official one also seems to come with DVDs, exercise examples, instructions, so that seems fairly comprehensive. If you're handy, i think you can make one fairly easily. Its pretty straightforward to use - I took a session or two to learn how it worked but I think that was because I was trying to learn mid-workout when I am trying to breathe.

Privateer Adventurer

Warm up: This video
has some good suggestions for warm up.

Cool down/strecthing:

One of the PTs in the gym should be able to talk you through how to adjust the straps, its not complicated though.

Thanks! I'm gonna give these a go tomorrow morning. I'm always excited to try something new.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

I like this game - have you heard of ropes?

I'm afraid not. Could you explain? :P

Point is, I just think they're not all that spectacular. Especially considering that you just squat and deadlift/do pistols and GHRs for your lower body, they have no added value over a robust pair of rings. I'd even go as far as to say that rings are better because you can apply a false grip when learning muscle-ups and the like, which smooths out the progressions more. Finally, if you're buying these, you're getting ripped off for sure. You can get high level gymnastics rings for around ~60 euros while the cheapest TRX pair seems to be 179 euros.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

I'm afraid not. Could you explain? :P

Point is, I just think they're not all that spectacular. Especially considering that you just squat and deadlift/do pistols and GHRs for your lower body, they have no added value over a robust pair of rings. I'd even go as far as to say that rings are better because you can apply a false grip when learning muscle-ups and the like, which smooths out the progressions more. Finally, if you're buying these, you're getting ripped off for sure. You can get high level gymnastics rings for around ~60 euros while the cheapest TRX pair seems to be 179 euros.

Fair enough- have you tried both? I'd love to try rings but I have no way to do so safely. I look forward to comparing the two.

Privateer Adventurer

My husband had these for his students when he was teaching at a leadership academy a few years ago. He brought one home for me to play with right before we had to move and they were so much fun. I keep thinking about getting a pair for our house, but they are just so expensive! Is there any (tried and true) websites anyone can recommend for making your own?

Archived