Forums are back in action! ×

Interesting Article on Doping in Elite Level Athletes

aj_rock

Source: http://w02.biomedcentral.com/1472-6939/8/2

They discuss the drawbacks of expending so much time, effort, and money on tracking down elite athletes who use illegal drugs and doping methods.

For such a contentious issue, it does raise some fair points. They also point out that major dialogue has not been made on the subject since anti-doping policies were enacted in the 60's, when the drugs were simple, blood had normal levels of hemoglobin, and the possibility of gene-doping didn't hang over our heads.

I'd like to discuss this, but PLEASE read the article before commenting.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

There's one point in that which is new to me; that while doping has hazards (I'm particularly familiar with tales of blood like jam from EPO in cycling), elite level sport is already hazardous: if we accept busted knees and collarbones and bruised brains, then it's disingenuous not to accept similar levels of risk from other sources.

When it comes to sports, well I can see it at the Olympic level where the pureness of the sport/athleticism matters, but when it comes to what is basically an entertainment industry, a reality TV show, with pro sports I am personally fine with any sort of performance enhancement and view doping as a positive. This is of course not all that popular of an opinion though.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

When it comes to sports, well I can see it at the Olympic level where the pureness of the sport/athleticism matters, but when it comes to what is basically an entertainment industry, a reality TV show, with pro sports I am personally fine with any sort of performance enhancement and view doping as a positive. This is of course not all that popular of an opinion though.

Haha, it reminds me of this Daniel Tosh bit (mildly NSFW for language, like all of his stuff):

2/13/12

Starting Primal and free weights

10/02/12

Starting LeanGains. Still lifting all the things.

Fitocracy

andygates: as such, a common counter argument for keeping doping out is that these sports ARE dangerous enough without adding regular doping (extreme levels of doping test cheating aside). Elite level sports: add test, murder, and rage

Waldo: Olympics is where the difference between doping and non-doping is seen the most actually. EVERYONE in western professional sports leagues tries to cheat the system in some way or another. Olympics, well, as the article said, some can't afford the cash-moneyz price tag.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Archived