Forums are back in action! ×

Something has to change. Odinson_Rising again

I am Odinson_Rising, and I truly feel unworthy.

The path is rocky and sometimes treacherous, but the challenges and obstacles in my way should provide opportunities for improvement. Should. Right now, I'm having trouble framing my challenges in that way. It's important for me to acknowledge that struggle to myself because I don't believe I'll otherwise be able to overcome it. 

I will overcome that struggle.

Here's what I've been doing: I start with a decent breakfast, if I eat at all. Today's was 3 eggs w/ 2 sausage patties and some cinnamon stewed apples - like super chunky applesauce. So good. But I'm extra tired today, so I wander down to the hospital cafeteria for some sugar free energy drinks. Not ideal, I know, but there you go. Upon grabbing my drinks, I notice cheesecake and chocolate glazed eclairs.

Me: Mine.

Also Me: Wait, what? I don't really want these things. Not only are they instruments of sugary sabotage, but I'm not even hungry! I ate three eggs and two sausage patties; how much room can there possibly still be?

But I want them. 

Oh. Well, in that case, carry on. Lets go get physically uncomfortable at work.

So what happened to the 250-pounder who, despite being mostly unprepared, gutted out a Tough Mudder and stomped through the Electroshock Therapy obstacle with arms outstretched instead of running and dodging? Where's the guy who studied for, and earned the CompTIA Security+ certification without classes or a study partner? Where's the tutoring superhero who had a reputation for learning content on the fly and paraphrasing it in just the right way that it could be understood by whichever student he was helping? What happened to him?

I know part of the answer to all of that. I can identify a handful of critical moments, when a decision or action changed my course, and moved me away from that guy. They moved me away from who I want to be. Now it's time to take action, make use of that knowledge, and get back to work. I need to find that guy and get him back in the mix.

This is zero day. Today, I will identify a handful of goals, flesh them out, break them down into subquests where possible, and begin to formulate a plan to get from here to there. I will also take my before pictures, although I don't plan to share them, unless I find there's a pressing reason.

Let's go to work. 

thor_god_of_thunder_shirtless.jpg

• Like 3

Life is full of hard times and good times. Learn from everything you can.

Swinging_Jarnbjorn: Lv 1 Asgardian Ranger

Focus Up! My current challenge.

Loss As A Motivator

Gotta say this was pretty epic. Especially the picture - nice touch!

I should also add this much: Don't let your cockiness overtake your reason. I have a principle that I adopted from a man who has done more with his life than I have with mine (So far). That principle says this: "Promise them the world... But you make sure you ****ing deliver it with a shiny bow when you do." What I'm getting at is - don't let words get in the way of actions. Make sure they are completely in sync. In other words talk the talk and walk the walk.

Another thing I should add: NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED. Your intelligence, endurance, physical appearance, etc. CAN all be gone in the blink of an eye or gradually decay as you get older. And if you just got lucky, well luck is a very fickle bed partner. DO NOT take luck for granted.

If you can do the stuff I said to do and not do the stuff I said not to do, you'll be sitting in Valhalla chugging mead and bragging to all the other badasses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm training to be (like) Batman physically, mentally, and financially.

14 hours ago, Roamer said:

Gotta say this was pretty epic. Especially the picture - nice touch!

I should also add this much: Don't let your cockiness overtake your reason. I have a principle that I adopted from a man who has done more with his life than I have with mine (So far). That principle says this: "Promise them the world... But you make sure you ****ing deliver it with a shiny bow when you do." What I'm getting at is - don't let words get in the way of actions. Make sure they are completely in sync. In other words talk the talk and walk the walk.

Another thing I should add: NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED. Your intelligence, endurance, physical appearance, etc. CAN all be gone in the blink of an eye or gradually decay as you get older. And if you just got lucky, well luck is a very fickle bed partner. DO NOT take luck for granted.

If you can do the stuff I said to do and not do the stuff I said not to do, you'll be sitting in Valhalla chugging mead and bragging to all the other badasses.

Check me.

Everything you said is true, and historically, I've been the embodiment of your message. Failure has been a prominent hallmark of my fitness journey. 

The thing of it is, though, I'm not cocky. I'm not self-assured or arrogant. I carry the weight of each of my failures with me every single day. I've been told that's unhealthy, but I disagree, and do you know why? Each of those failures is a lesson, taught by the very best teacher, just waiting for me to have my light bulb moment.

This may not be the time I finally succeed. Or maybe it will. Either way, I'm gonna learn some things. 

So check me. We can learn some things together. 

Loss As A Motivator

On 10/19/2017 at 6:02 PM, Xena said:

You've got greatness within. You've done some great things already and you have the strength to get back on track.

I hope you're right. Some days that's easy to believe. Other days are harder. The fact is that I'm not always sure. But I hope you're right, and that's enough. (Stolen blatantly and unrepentantly from Princess Poppy - Trolls)

• Like 1

Loss As A Motivator