Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone,

First post - so be gentle!

When you read this your first thought could well be "is this person real?" or "surely this is a wind up?" but I assure you it isn't!

Six months ago I turned 40 and took a good look at myself. I was well in to my rehab from yet another shoulder operation which was going well, but the rest of what I was looking at, well, in truth, wasn't going so well!

Let's get the fundamentals out of the way first. Like I said I'm 40, I'm 6ft 2, 18st 9 (120Kg's). I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes nine years ago and have been taking Metformin and also been injecting slow release Insulin for the majority of this time. I recently found out I have arthritis in both hips that will just get worse over time, while at the same time was told that both hips will at some stage need to be replaced (I am due to have impingement's operations on both hips in the next 12 months to ease the pain somewhat.) And I am Seven weeks post-op from a sixth (yes sixth!) shoulder operation. With any luck the last two shoulder operations will be THE LAST TWO shoulder operations as I had what is known as a Laterjet procedure, where pieces of bone were taken from a part of the shoulder and screwed into the part where they kept dislocating. The left shoulder was operated on September 2016, and the right shoulder was done a little over seven weeks ago which I've just started strengthening exercises with the therabands.

I've also got weak ankles where the right one was broken and the left one I ruptured all the ligaments and the Achilles, and 20 years on they are still not and never will be right.

I think I've pretty much covered everything! The best man at my up-coming wedding said he isn't going to do a speech, he's just going to get a skeleton and ask people to put pins in where they think any part of my body is actually working!!!

I was well over 23st when I was diagnosed with Diabetes with a blood sugar level of nearly 24. Through diet and exercise I managed to shed five stone in about four years and got my bloods down to under 10. However the last few years have stagnated, through one thing or another, be it things going on in my personal life or lying in an NHS hospital bed banged up in a sling!

My diet isn't that great. Never has been, but not terrible either. The big problem with my eating habits is that I don't have any habits! I don't have any consistency with eating patterns, a bit like I have no constant gym patterns, as I struggle with the long standing injuries even though I do enjoy the gym.

I literally have no idea where to go from here. Well, what I mean by that is I know I need to get my BMI down a lot (I think it's into the 30's), I also need to hugely reduce my body fat percentage, I don't know what it is but I'm guessing it won't make good reading! I'm probably a typical diabetic in that nearly all my excess weight is around my abdomen. My arms are skinny and my legs I would say are fine and pretty defined, my mates would say are skinny!

I don't know what weight I should be in proportion to my body size and frame. I don't know what I should be focusing on in the gym to lose the weight and build up my upper body strength (I've never been able to do a proper pull up for example!) I don't know what my diet should be in relation to losing the weight and building the upper body?

In my head I want to be about 14st, have a 34" waist and a 42" chest instead of a 40" waist and 50" chest, but I don't know if that is achievable and if so how to go about it, how long it would take so I don't get disheartened and lose motivation etc...

Sorry it's a lot to take in, and probably very long winded, but any help would be appreciated as it's something I feel passionate about, and it's taken a lot for me to write this, but I know deep down I need help to kick on.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Have you seen this blog post yet?  https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/get-in-shape/
It's a good starting point.  And has links that get more in depth (like https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/healthy-eating/ )

I'm still in the beginning stages of getting in shape myself, so am not the most knowledgeable at this kind of thing, but everyone was a beginner at some point, right?
Just need to take it one step at a time :)

Good luck!

Mrs. Nomar, level 1 Dwarf. Assassin (with monkish tendencies)
STR 2|DEX 0|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 2

Welcome to the Rebellion, @Jamez40! You are truly courageous to tell us all about your struggles in your first post - you have been through a lot and that is nothing to be ashamed of!

I am definitely not a fitness or diet expert, but we definitely have some of those here - some of our weight loss threads can be found here: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/134-weight-loss/  Please feel free to post some specific questions there and get some more personalized help! With your injuries, working out is going to be a challenge, but you're not the only one here with mobility issues, so please don't let that discourage you!

I do wonder, is walking difficult for you? Are you able to take long walks, or short ones? Even walking can be a great way to shed some pounds - it's been my standby throughout my 2-year fitness journey!  :) 

Welcome again - I'm so glad you're here!!

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Hi. I can feel your frustration and sympathize. I am 44 but due to military service my lungs were damaged and I now have severe asthma and COPD (never smoked). I am told in 5-6 years I will be on oxygen. Because of the steroids I was given for the lung disease I now need to have both hips replaced. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am new here but would like to begin this journey with you. I have many pounds to lose and miles to go to get there. Hopefully we can help each other!!

Hey @Jamez40! Just wanted to check in again and see how you were doing - have you had a chance to snoop around the boards at all? See anything or anyone who catches your eye and might be helpful, or do you have any questions I might be able to answer?

On 10/7/2017 at 3:26 PM, Runt said:

Hi. I can feel your frustration and sympathize. I am 44 but due to military service my lungs were damaged and I now have severe asthma and COPD (never smoked). I am told in 5-6 years I will be on oxygen. Because of the steroids I was given for the lung disease I now need to have both hips replaced. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am new here but would like to begin this journey with you. I have many pounds to lose and miles to go to get there. Hopefully we can help each other!!

Welcome welcome to you too, Runt! (I feel really awkward calling you a "runt," but since you picked the name, I have to assume it doesn't bother you!!) I'm so glad to see you here and I give you all the thanks and gratitude in the world for what you have sacrificed to keep me and my fellow civilians safe. I hope you will find a welcoming and helpful place here to pursue your goals and bring yourself back toward health - have you set up a challenge thread or introduction thread yet? I'd be honored to follow your progress!

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers