Forums are back in action! ×

Hey all!

Hopping back on the train for oh, let's just say the millionth time. This time is a bit different. This time, I'm not doing it alone. My boyfriend and I joined a gym, and signed up for personal training together. Something that too 7 1/2 years for him to agree to do with me, but now he's finally understanding that I need a partner in this fight not just a cheerleader.

The story so far:

I have been overweight all my life, and have lost the same 50lbs or so over and over again. I crash dieted, took diet pills, ate right and exercised...basically did it all. My ability to lose weight has never been in question, my ability to sustain it has. I am hopeful that with my wonderful boyfriend by my side, and the added accountability of our trainer I can figure out how to make this a life long success. There are some challenges in my path due to my health that may make this a pretty rough fight, but I'm tough. I am exactly 1 year out from brain decompression surgery, and I am finally starting to feel like myself again. No one really explains that depression after a major surgery is a large concern, and that if you have complications like a dvt ( like I did) it can just make you feel even more useless. I lost 55lb before my surgery at my surgeons request, and have since gained it back and then some. I have post thrombotic syndrome in my leg from the dvt which causes fatigue, swelling, and pitting edema which is not only incredibly uncomfortable, but makes me very self conscious. I have an undiagnosed connective tissue disorder which goes hand in hand with the chiari (the reason I had brain decompression surgery), that causes my joints to subluxate and be in pain constantly, and I still get exertion headaches, dizzy spells, and have polyneuralgia. All of that being said, I have started a weekly yoga practice that has literally saved my life. I am crushing the gym, and training...granted it's been less than 2 weeks, but I am killing that shit!

Some goals:

Lose 100lbs total - Already down 5!

Warrior Dash next summer

Get out of prediabetic status

Start a blog

So, um....that's what i've got for now. Thanks for listening, er reading!

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log

Welcome home, @porchcricket13! I just love your username - it makes me think of one of my favorite books!  :)  

You have been through a LOT and that is AMAZING. You are a fighter and that's fantastic!! 

I'm not sure how long it's been since you were here, so you may already know about this; but just in case you don't, we currently have a thread running for tips, suggestions, help, and general chatter about obstacle course races - that might be a great place for you to start in getting ready for the Warrior Dash:  

I can't wait to see your next challenge thread! I'm rooting for you to get back on your feet and learn how to live with your "new normal"!

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Thanks, I will totally check that thread out! I'm a little lost on how exactly I need to start training for the warrior dash. I know it's not as straight forward as like couch to 5k and stuff. Our trainer is focusing on high intensity workouts so that should help and I'm going to do interval training on the treadmill as well. 

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log