Forums are back in action! ×

It's a New Day, Yes it Is

Hello! My name is Josie. I'm a 26 year old new mom. When I say new, I mean new new. Like my son was born the end of August new. So it goes without saying I have put on some weight and am going stir crazy. We also just bought our home about a year ago, so we are in the process of a lot of DIY renovations. My life is the most chaotic it's ever been and my health has totally fallen to the wayside. I've started just going through the motions of life to get by. I seriously don't think I've brushed my hair in 3 days.

I've struggled with my weight my entire life. I come from an Italian family, where we express our feelings with food. You're happy? Let's celebrate with food! You're sad? Let's cheer you up with some food. You're mad? Let's aggressively eat some nachos. Not to mention my mom owns a pizza place that I'm in the process of taking over. Needless to say, I've been 267 pounds, 160 pounds, and everything in between.

I used to be obsessed with my weight and it destroyed me mentally. To me 160 pounds didn't look any different than 267 pounds. The only reason I knew I had gained weight was because my clothes didn't fit. I always looked fat. My fiancé has helped me look past my weight and just focus on being healthy. He's a naturally fit guy. Doesn't do anything and is toned. Annoying. So when I talk about counting calories and blah blah blah he doesn't get it. He drinks Rockstar and eats Arby's all the time. So here I am! Looking for people I can talk to about the struggle that can relate to how I feel (not that my fiancé is not supportive, he really is).

So my overall goals are to drop some weight, eat more natural/local food, be active everyday, begin a truly healthy lifestyle to set a good example for my son. About a week or so ago I began to do yoga and a quick home workout while my son slept, but he doesn't sleep that often during the day anymore and I dislocated my knee (again) while moving the couch. So I've been talking to my fiancé about how I would be able to get in some exercise while he's home and can watch the baby, and I'm on the road to recovery for my knee.

Quick blurb about my nerdy side:

-My username is my gamertag

-I play Hearthstone

-Obsessed with Monster Hunter

-Booknerd like you wouldn't believe

-Huge RPG and FPS fan

-Real life Druid

-Other stuff

Welcome to NF!

It sounds like you have a lot going on right now!

We're in week 4 of a 4 week challenge. Feel free to poke around in other people's threads and see what they are up to. Then you'll have some idea of whether that might be a good place for you.

Alternatively, you can start a Battle Log, which is more of a continuous journal, not broken up into chunks like challenges.

Or, you can become involved in other parts of the forums. Sometimes some off-topic nerdy chat is just what the doctor ordered.

Anyway, there's lots here and the folks are friendly. Jump in wherever seems good to you.

• Like 1

I love your post title first of all, and relate to so much of what you said! Food has been my comfort for my entire life, but I'm learning that I love healthy food just as much as junk and I'm binging less on the bad stuff now. My boyfriend is kind of like your husband, except he has hit an age where his lifestyle is starting to catch up. So, after 7 years of him saying he would never go to the gym with me or eat healthier we are finally in this together! 

Congrats on your little one, that is such great motivation to get healthy!

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log