Forums are back in action! ×

Rant about kids in the pool at the Y.

babycakes1970

My daughter and I have been going to the Y for lap swimming. There are specific times designated for lap swimming and also designated times for famy swim. We were both highly irritated by the fact that two boys,about seven or eight years old, were jumping in the pool and making lots of noise while we were there to swim laps at the appropriate time. There did appear to be a parent who would come in every ten minutes or so and just look to make sure they were still alive and then walk out. The lifeguard on duty did tell them that they had to stay in their own lane and be quiet but they did not (be quiet that is).

What is it with these parents? I have four kids with two still at home and I would have never permitted my kids to do that. I have noticed that when I go to thrift stores too. I was actually looking for an exercise bike last year and every time I saw one or two there would be kids climbing all over them and parents not doing a thing.

Oh man, I had a similar issue on Thursday. I blogged about it.

"I probably would have stayed in the pool except there were four teenage girls literally walking as far as they could and then swimming a little, then back again until their feet touched the floor and then walking back to the shallow end. The pool I swim in is small and they were taking up a massive chunk of space. Chuh. "

I've just read that back and the language sucks, but I was angry I only managed to squeeze in 10 minutes of swim before I lost my mind.

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

Honestly, I'm all for kids doing what babycakes was describing. I mean I don't doubt its annoying, but the kids are just playing, and playing in the pool/ on a bike is the fun way of exercising for kids. Anything that keeps kids active and not dangerous this day and age is a good thing in my opinion.

The issue I have is that the kids were playing in the pool and making a lot of noise when the rule is that IF kids are in the pool during lap swim time they are supposed to be swimming laps. I asked an employee before we left the Y and he verified that.

As for the kids on the bikes well I have no problem with kids riding actual bicycles in a safe manner outside. The bikes I was looking at were all adult size stationary bikes for sale at a thrift store with kids between the ages of about two to about seven/eight years climbing and trying to pedal them. The parents were just standing around doing nothing to stop them.

I guess the real issue is the parents not the kids.

Like you said the issue is the parents. ANd the lifeguard. If it is the Y's rules, then they need to enforce it, or there will be clueless parents who don't watch their kids. I'd complain to the Y if it is a continuing problem.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Archived