Forums are back in action! ×

Reporting for duty!

New to the forum, but stumbled across NF via Reddit, and have been reading voraciously for just over a week. The wealth of information I found even scratching the surface of this blog, forum, and its members convinced me that this might be a good place for me.

A bit of background - I've dabbled in gymnastics, karate, kickboxing, yoga, and judo - the instructors I had made and broke my experiences with these. Lately, I do best on my own with guidance pulled from reading and technique videos, and sharing ideas.

I love pretty much all barbarians (ask me why the new Conan movie isn't a total disaster!) and want the muscle and agility of a lady-viking. Thus, I want to pursue pole for fitness, but until I live near a studio, bodyweight and interval training it is! Up until recently, my inspiration for barbaric strength has been those guys on Spartacus, but I now have a favorite pole gymnast, Oona Kivela, and I also read about Staci/Spezzy (holy frak)!

What can I offer, and what do I need in return? They mostly go hand in hand: a sympathetic ear for rants/frustrations, support for working out on your own, support for the cons of odd schedules, willingness to share the results of my kitchen experiments, and a pat-pat on the shoulder when you need one.

Seriously, I'm on an island. Transitioning to paleo is hard as hell when I'm used to English muffins for breakfast and semi-frequent baked snacks, so I experiment with recipes that call for flax meal and coconut flour. My fiance has short-bowel syndrome and eats 3x what a normal person eats just to maintain his weight, and doesn't work out, and I often have to remind him that we can't all eat whatever/how much we really want. My friends who do workout play the hamster-wheel-elliptical game, or otherwise don't want to come to my side of town to work out at the free gym in my apartment complex.

Just-3-Points-Shy-of-Level-4 Half-Dwarf AssassinSTR 11 / DEX 9 / STA 7 / CON 10 / WIS 10 / CHA 10http://derpnikdrawing.tumblr.com/

Sounds like you have a great attitude and a sense of humor... I can identify with a few things you've mentioned, the crazy schedule and trying to get in workouts, etc.. I haven't made the decision to go paleo, but I applaud you for it, having a fiance with dietary issues that collide with your wants must be difficult.

I love the "hamster wheel" reference :smile-new: and if someone was going to let me come workout for free, I'd be on that... your friends need to check themselves lol

Good luck to you!

~Tanya~

Archived