Forums are back in action! ×

Any Surfers? Need advice for an overweight n00b!

I have always wanted to surf. It's definitely a bucket list item for me. And this 4th of July, I get to cross it off my list. In Puerto Rico. With my amazing, and super supportive boyfriend. I'm freaking excited!

Any tips for beginners? I'm about 50 pounds overweight, but I am working hard to make strength gains in the gym.

What are some exercises I can do to make sure I am able to surf? It looks like burpees would actually be very beneficial for "hopping up" on the board to catch a wave. What other exercises would get me ready? I'm going to cater my next 6 week challenge to making some serious strength gains in preparation of catching a wave for the first time.

What was your first experience surfing?

Surfing is exhausting. After my first time surfing may have been the time when I felt the most drained in my entire life. Dragging myself to a food place afterwards successfully was a major accomplishment. Then it was straight onto the bed in my hotel room. I think I might have been in the water for about an hour and a half.

Not that I'm an expert on surfing or anything, but I would suggest core, endurance, and general upper and lower body strength training. Paddling and avoiding incoming waves were a major component of being out there for the first time. The basic move for avoiding incoming small-to-medium waves while paddling back out is to lean back and pop the board up at an angle so you go over it. So you are kicking with your legs, paddling with your arms, and using lots of core muscles constantly. There is a reason serious surfers tend to look in really good shape.

I think the basics will stand you in pretty good stead, things like bench or dumbbell presses or push-ups, squats, planks, pull-ups, etc.

You might also want to do some endurance training, something like rowing on an erg machine, doing bodyweight circuits, or Crossfit-style reps for time.

I still suck, but I only dabble. You can't not dabble down here, an hour from the start of the good Atlantic beaches.

I'm assuming you're confident in the water? If not, that. Paddling is all arm strength: swim crawl for this. Pop-up is totally surf-specific and can be done in the safety of your home, try to land your feet predictably in the right spots. Maybe a balance board - a board balanced on a roller (a bit of drainpipe usually) if you like toys. If you already do a board sport, you know what foot to put where.

As for my first time? I was all stressed over my first sea-swim triathlon and headed to meet friends to gush drama at them. One wisely said, "the water's all demands and no fun: relax, here, borrow this spare board and come with us". The first time the board caught a wave and went live, mmm. Mmm. :D

I'm still a beginner surfer so can recommend a few things.

To get to your feet is a pop-up; upper body strength is your friend here, especially pushups. Be able to do plenty of pushups (proper ones) and it will help a lot.

Swimming - always good to be happy n the water.

You probably won't be paddling out too much because it's so tiring, but upper body work helps here.

Squats/lunges are good, it's good to have the leg strength to stay low for a while.

Surfing is a bit less raw strength and more repeated attempts to catch a good wave, so good endurance helps.

My first surf was in Sydney and made me want to surf more. It's exhausting but really fun - you'll have a great time.

Privateer Adventurer

STR 4.75 | DEX 1 | STA 6.75| CON 2 | WIS 5| CHA 3

I'm also surfing for the first time in May. I'm so excited, but also worried I won't be in good enough shape to actually do it.

I've been working on core strength, push ups and TRYING to get to the gym to swim (I'm in Kansas so it's the best I can do in spring). I actually like the suggestions already given much better than what I've been doing. But here's something I found that was surfing-specific.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler82.htm

I cannot do the knee jumps. I've tried a bunch of times and only get rug burns. I guess since it sounds like getting tired is the most common thing, I'm going to keep working on swimming, add in more running and maybe other cardio stuff like stairs and rowing. I also have a Warrior Dash in May, so I need the running for that as it is! (I'm not a fan of running.)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Archived