Forums are back in action! ×

Hey everyone! So I stumbled across Nerd Fitness while doing a bit of research on weight loss. I've been trying to lose weight for years...

But let me back up a bit. I'm Deana, and I'm 27 years old. I'm currently in college, pursuing my degree in Medical Laboratory Science. I'll be done with school in June (Can't. Wait.), and then hopefully I'll be well on my way to establishing my career as a lab rat. 

My hobbies include video games (especially horror-themed ones... and zombies), binge-watching shows, writing, exploring, and basically anything that I may find interesting at the time. I tend to gravitate toward bizarre, dark, or disturbing topics when it comes to past times such as gaming and shows. Supernatural is my absolute favorite show, and it influences me in so many ways. 

Health-wise, like I said, I've been trying to lose weight for years. I know what I have to do (eat healthier, sleep better, be more active, etc.), but the application and dedication are lacking. I have tried almost everything, but I haven't been successful. I make the mistake of having an all-or-nothing approach, and have a tendency of being a perfectionist (I struggle with playing open-world games because of this. Get alll the things!). Because of this mentality, if I 'mess up',i give up entirely, and that basically sets me back to the start. I have to remember that this isn't a race, but a journey. There's no pressure to do or be anything but a better version of who I was yesterday. 

I have a Myfitnesspal account, which is pretty cool and helpful, but I feel out of place in the forums. Needless to say, when I bumped into Nerd Fitness and realized it was structured like a game, I was more than excited to give it a try! Maybe I found my people... 

So my plan to conquer my issues with weight loss:  I aim to set small, realistic goals for myself each month, and just focus on those. I'll make sure they are helping me with the big picture, but I don't want to overwhelm myself with trying to remember what I should be doing. I'll set up the goals with the knowledge I've gained (and hopefully learn here, too!), and tap into my perfectionist tendencies to achieve these monthly goals. I may check out the challenges here in the forum, too. 

Hi Deana,

Welcome to NF. I like your quote of this isn't a race, but a journey. I just want to get to the gym 3-4x a week and do something, sometimes I find if I have a set plan and it doesn't work, I get discouraged, so I have a broad goal and can achieve that each day a multitude of ways. I try to remember that any workout is better than no workout. Good luck on your goals.

Hi! That sounds like a reasonable approach to accomplishing your goals. You have a bit of freedom to do what you're in the mood for, and still feel successful - because let's be real here, we're not always going to be excited about getting on the treadmill or the like. It's almost like cheating the system! I wish you luck on your goals as well. 

20 hours ago, Deana said:

Health-wise, like I said, I've been trying to lose weight for years. I know what I have to do (eat healthier, sleep better, be more active, etc.), but the application and dedication are lacking. I have tried almost everything, but I haven't been successful. I make the mistake of having an all-or-nothing approach, and have a tendency of being a perfectionist (I struggle with playing open-world games because of this. Get alll the things!). Because of this mentality, if I 'mess up',i give up entirely, and that basically sets me back to the start. I have to remember that this isn't a race, but a journey. There's no pressure to do or be anything but a better version of who I was yesterday.

This is my struggle as well!  I totally understand wanting to fix all the the things all at once.  What I love about NF is the challenged.  Picking just a few things every 4 weeks and really honing in on them in order to be better a little at a time.  It is a game changer.  Welcome!!!

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Hi Deana,

Good luck! I apologise if you have heard this before but here are the pieces of wisdom I picked up in my own journey:

1) “perfection is the enemy of the good”. It’s ok if u don’t get the perfect diet/workout. Good enough is better than bad. 

2) if u get a bad meal, workout, don’t let it become a bad day. If u get a bad day, don’t let it become a bad week. If u get a bad week, don’t let it become a bad month. U won’t get bad years this way. 

3) Know that your goals are achievable. People who have been endowed with less and facing more challenging circumstances have succeeded. So get after it!!!

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

On 1/5/2018 at 8:04 AM, Deana said:

Stribs, 

Yes, the challenges seem great! i'm not participating in one just yet, but I have my own goals for this month. :) 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Hi Deana,

I'm new here too.  Your mentioning 

On 1/3/2018 at 2:45 AM, Deana said:

Get alll the things!

so resonated with me :lol:  (The first time I played Mass Effect, I spent HOURS in the Citadel before even heading out on first mission...looking back it was kinda crazy).  I follow the same pattern of all in or off the path, and it's also why I've signed up for NF.  

I kind of want to still have 'all in' times, but want my priority to be improving my day-to-day routines...I've been thinking of it like interval training - I want to slowly improve my 'walk pace' but still do the 'run pace' to keep myself motivated and getting through.  Hopefully one day the 'walk pace' will be good enough to no longer need the 'run pace'...except after holidays ;)

Good luck with your journey :)

~ Barbs

Level 1 Furbie (big, fuzzy, happy, says strange things)

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit (without device as yet :( ) | Duolingo

Start Weight (28/1/2018): 111 kg

Current Weight (28/1/2018): 111 kg

Goal Weight: 80 kg (31 kg to go)

Previous Challenges: 

Personal Blog: Coming Soon...hopefully...