Forums are back in action! ×

New guy looking for advice

Hey all,

I'm a 20 year old college student who hopes to be starting Crossfit and the transition to Paleo in a week and a half; once I get home for the summer. My largest concern is whether or not I will be able to resist the large amounts of non-Paleo food that will be around me. I have a mother who bakes delicious homemade food everyday and a father who makes sure there's always a stock of highly processed desserts. Does anyone else live in a similar situation and have any advice for me?

Thanks so much,

-DK

Parents tend to be very supportive of anything their children want to do. Talk to them and tell them what you are trying to achieve and how you would like them to help you.

I recently viisted my parents for a vacation and my mother also loves to cook and make yummy things - her fudge is to die for! My dad loves his chocolate and so there were many temptations in the fridge every day. But, when I told them how I am trying to it and what I want to accomplish, they were very supportive. My mom just refocussed her amazing cooking skills into the healthy foods and my Dad kept his chocolate in a non-transparent container in the fridge.

As long as the right foods are available at home, you don't have to partake in the consumption of th delicious food. Your mental attitude and stength will be tested, but it really will be up to you.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

Hey all,

I'm a 20 year old college student who hopes to be starting Crossfit

http://www.board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

and the transition to Paleo in a week and a half; once I get home for the summer. My largest concern is whether or not I will be able to resist the large amounts of non-Paleo food that will be around me. I have a mother who bakes delicious homemade food everyday and a father who makes sure there's always a stock of highly processed desserts. Does anyone else live in a similar situation and have any advice for me?

I have been primal/paleo for a little over 2 years now, and while I was not in your situation, I do live with someone who does not eat my way at all. I am very lucky in that she supports me fully, especially after she has seen all the positive changes.

Here is my advice for starting in paleo.

First remember that this is your journey, so make it your own. Everyone will approach it differently, and that is how it should be.

Second remember that this is not a 'diet', it is nothing more than a different way of eating than the standard eating of most people.

Now there are two main ways to get into paleo/primal eating.

1. Jump in head first and go cold turkey. (self explanatory)

2. Take it slow

For my own reason, I chose the take it slow, mainly because I knew me, and thought I would fail if I tried cold turkey. I did it like this:

Every single meal/snack I was about to eat, I asked myself a simple question(note:best to ask before you make it! ) ...."What non-paleo food am I about to eat/thinking of eating, that I can switch out for something paleo". Then just make the switch. Here is a simple example that I can remember.

Dinner was going to be: Grilled chicken and pasta. okay, chicken was an excellent choice, I switched out the pasta for a huge helping of steamed veggies.

that was it, and I did that for every meal as I started out. Before I even realized it, I was naturally switching out non-paleo foods for the right choices. In the beginning there were times I just could not make a switch, be it because of family dinners, or I had no idea what to switch out because I was at work and went out to eat. But as time went on, and the more I learned, the easier it became and now it is just second nature.

This does mean though that you do have to research and study or you won't learn what foods are good to switch out and switch in...but it is really not that hard.

I also had one more requirement for when I made a switch. The food I chose had to be natural with no added chemicals or grains.

Hope it helps a tiny bit, but remember, make it work your way, and good luck!

Archived