Forums are back in action! ×

One large goal and a few small ones

Hi, just introducing myself to the community... I think I'm going to like it here. I'm 38 and I finally managed to find the switch in my brain to start taking care of myself. 3 months ago, I set a goal of meeting a friend in Phoenix for the Rock n Roll Half-marathon in January 2013. I weighed 284lbs and had never participated in a regular exercise program in my life... A little crazy, right??

In those 3 months, I've dropped 18lbs, I've been in the gym no less than 3 days/wk, I quit smoking a month ago and haven't even been tempted to go back, I've been "fixing" my diet, I jogged 2.5 miles this morning... I'm running my first 5K next weekend. Well, wogging my first 5K (that's what my friends and I call jogging and walking combined). I plan to do another 5K late May/early June to see how much I can improve my time. First 10K no later than Labor Day. Those are some of the small goals.

I believe in noticing all the small stuff, it's what gets me to go back tomorrow... when I can stretch a little easier, further... when I don't have to stand out in the hallway before I go into class because I'm embarrassingly winded from climbing 2 flights of stairs... when I have to find a belt cuz there's pants that won't stay on without one... These are the things that prove to me today that I can get to where I want to be in January.

There's a lot of good information here, and looks like some awesome people. Glad I found you all, I will have questions, I'm sure... I will cheer for you whenever I can, I will listen, I will learn... I will be better each day.

~Tanya~

Sounds like you're well on your way to total half-marathon domination! Great to have you on board :)

If you're interested, the Scout Guild holds regular running challenge that anyone can participate in. They're a good way to help your training and meet fellow runners. We'd love to have you!

Welcome to the Rebellion!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Archived