Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all!

I've found NerdFitness a few months ago, but have finally decided to become a more active part of the community!

So, the basics: My name's Barnaby, I'm 18 and in my first year at Uni. I've always been the typical nerd-type - underweight, really weak, but that doesn't matter becuase I've got brains, right? I mean, I got into Cambridge University to study Science, can I get any better than that? </sarcasm>

I became a Christian a few months ago, having spent my whole life as an Atheist (turns out when someone sits down and explains it to you properly, its actually incredibly hard to argue against. All the 'typical' Athiest questions have incredibly logical and sensible answers), and realised that just being smart wasn't enough. If I was going to help fight the Empire, it had to be on *all* fronts, not just the one's I was good at.

Since then I've fallen in love with Bodyweight training! Yesterday I was in a pretty bad mood (left some assignments until the last minute and then started epically procrastinating), but rather than having to force myself to excersise, I actually wanted to do it do cheer me up.

I've got a couple of fitness goals I'm working towards: I want to be able to do a set of one-legged squats by the end of term (end of June), and be able to do a set of one-handed push-ups by the beginning of next term (start of October). Yesterday I did five pistol squat negative (ie, I'd start in the bottom position and then stand up using one leg) so I'm not too far away from that goal!! I also managed 3 sets of 10 close-hand push-ups, so I'm steadily getting towards the push-up goal too.

My diet at the minute is pretty terrible: my parents decided they'd leave me with a massive pile of sweets/chocolate to "help my through the term". The problem is, I'm terrible at resisting stuff when its there, so I've just gorged myself on sugar these last few days. I've actually visibly put on some fat, which is a tad scary because I've always been envied for my fantastic matabolism, so in the next few days I'm going to try and correct my diet and start shedding those chocolate bars!

So yeah, that's the plan! It seems pretty doable, but we've got exams coming up so I'll have to try and balance it all!

Welcome!

Two birds with one stone: Give away your chocolate to your neighbors and make some friends!

I can't agree more. I have zero self control (drunk Josh ate like 3/4 of a pizza Monday night) so I don't keep anything in the house. Give that stuff away ASAP. Or sell it. You're a poor college student after all. Gotta make a buck, eh?

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

Archived