Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone :)

My name is VoodooPikachu (you can call me Pika :3 ) and I am finally ready for a change.

Over the past 5-10 years, my lifestyle has been catching up to me. I wouldn't consider myself morbidly obese by any means, but I am definitely over weight and I can't do it anymore. I need to make changes and now.

I've tried personal trainers, gym memberships, home workouts diets - EVERYTHING. To be honest I've even tried forcing myself into an eating disorder..I can't even commit to that.

I will always start making changes my I never stick to them. No matter what.

Do any of you have any tips on getting started? My self esteem is at its all time low..I can't even look at myself anymore 

How is the NF support system? Do any of you work on the buddy system? I need to be pushed or I'm going to be pastthw point of return and I know it will push me over the edge.

I was hoping I can meet others in the same position I am so we can help eachother. Please message me if so.

Thanks everyone and nice to meet you :)

• Like 1

Hello, I'm new here as well. 

The site does have something called an "accountabilibuddies" system if you look near the bottom of the forum index. I have yet to check it out.

As far as trying EVERYTHING...I'm not to that point yet but I do have the worst time in the world sticking to an exercise or diet plan all the time. And if self-esteem were a HP bar then my bar would be in the red because my self-esteem has been shot to pieces for months now. We share those 2 aspects in common.

Hey Pika! Sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time, but welcome to Nerd Fitness. :)

One of the things we talk about here is the concept that willpower is a finite resource. When you tell yourself, "this time for sure," and go full-on into a bunch of new changes to really turn things around, it takes a lot out of you! A lot of people here have experience with biting off more than we can chew and burning out, and it really leaves you feeling worse off than you were when you began. 

It's hard to figure out what works for you to get the staying power to keep up with your goals. Some people really like the NF 4 Week Challenges, because you set your own goals and hold yourself accountable as you go. Some people institute a rule like "never miss twice in a row" to keep themselves on track. For me, I've found that I have a lot of trouble making the same decisions to do better over and over again, and it's really fatiguing for me to constantly agree, "yes, today I'll run. AGAIN." :rolleyes: Instead, I find it's a lot easier if I automate as many decisions as possible, cut down on my options, and create a game plan in advance for my efforts so that when push comes to shove all I have to do is follow the pre-written instructions in the moment. 

It might take you a while to figure out exactly what works for you and what doesn't, but my suggestion is to look back at all of the things you've tried and try to trace out the common stumbling blocks. How long did you last with each effort? If you always quit after two weeks, maybe that's the cap on your will power. Were you being held accountable? Not everyone is a self-starter, or able to maintain their drive with intrinsic motivation alone. Are the people in your life supportive? A lot of people on NF are surrounded by families and coworkers who offer well-meaning sabotage. "You've worked so hard, why not relax and have some pizza tonight?" Really spend some time reflecting on your situation and see if you can tease out any patterns. Those will give you a good idea of what to prepare for and how to defend yourself with your next try. 

Good luck, Pika! Let us know if there's anything in particular we can do to help on your journey. NF is full of great people just waiting to be your cheerleaders. When you're ready, we'd love to help you give it another go! 

• Like 1