Forums are back in action! ×

Clean and Press alternatives?

mahchoo

I've been looking at a workout plan that I'm thinking I'd like to follow starting next week (coinciding with the start of the new challenge) and one of the exercises is the clean and press. As a newbie - what exercises would you suggest to replace the clean and press but work the same muscle groups?

Honestly, the clean and press intimidates me for some reason - it's an exercise I've never done, and I don't feel like I'm anywhere near doing that exercise with weights. I've practiced with a broom and it's just not a natural feel for me. I'd like to get to a point where I am comfortable with it - and I'll keep practicing and trying it - but I'd like to work those muscles regardless.

Thanks for info.

I'm on Twitter!

To be honest, it can be one of those things where a teeny bit of weight can actually make it easier, as it'll actually help some flexibility issues (I have a decent rack position, but it feels a lot more natural to hold a loaded barbell in that manner than a broomstick).

But, if you really don't wanna do them, I'd say the deadlifts, presses, rows, and shrugs will start hitting some of the same areas.

There's also this, which would be better to do in addition to a couple bigger, primary movements. Be warned, it's no joke. Go very, very light.

Good luck!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Archived