Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all!

My Name is Olivia, and I'm really pretty new to fitness stuff in general. I've always been pretty thin (5'4" ~118lb) and in fairly decent shape, but I've decided I want more. I want to achieve something. I'm currently working in retail and walk everywhere, but I'm interested in learning to lift and building strength. I was a dancer for my whole childhood and used to practice yoga fairly regularly and I'm interested in starting those things up again but I really am fascinated with the idea with being able to be a smallish female who can lift some freaking weights. 

My problem really is that I have moderate chronic back pain that's caused by scoliosis in my lower spine, it stopped me from being able to run, which I really loved doing. It also makes me really scared to try anything without someone supervising me, but I don't have the budget for a personal trainer or even consistent physical therapy because, you know, the American healthcare system is what it is and I'm barely working above minimum wage. 

I'd really love some guidance on how to move forward safely, but at a pace where I can actually see results, and feel like I'm not babying myself. 

I'm really really excited about the prospect of all of this but I don't know where to start. Please, help! Any and all advice appreciated, as well as any recipes because I don't want to be eating stir fry every night if I can help it! 

Thanks!

Olivia

Welcome Olivia.

I’m not qualified to discuss your back... but a lot of people here have had good luck with the Starting Strength program. It’s a few basic lifts starting with an empty bar and building up from there. I did it for a while and thought it was great, but I was more into kettlebells.

https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log