Forums are back in action! ×

New to the forums

Hello everyone! At my worst I weighed 410 pound and I decided I needed a change, today I weigh 329. (I'm 30 years old and 6'2'') My goal is to improve my quality of life and to some day be around 10 percent body fat in a galaxy far far away...

Up to this point I avoided any kind of strength training because I knew just watching what I ate would help and I wanted to take small steps to keep from going crazy. Two weeks ago, I went all in and got a Gym membership with 24, and I've been soaking up fitness information like its achievement points. Right now I'm using the machines at the Gym ( I know it's bad ) but I plan on getting a trainer some time next week to help me work through what I need to do to use free weights.

Heya Gametris! Welcome to the Rebellion! Congrats on signing up on the Gym Membership, I can understand how daunting that can be. Just take your time and stay the course and trust me, you'll be 10% bf. That's an excellent goal to work towards. Yes, most of us would recommend the free weights, because they'll cause you to work more muscles and can help prevent the injuries caused by the machines (damn, those machines!) but ultimately it's your decision, so when you're ready you'll move from machine to free weight. So We can help answer any question you might need so don't hesitate to ask! See you around!

By the way, your avatar is hilarious!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Welcome!! I'd echo what Red said about machines vs. free weights. But more importantly I'd caution against signing up for some random trainer. Make sure to find someone that understands your goals, and is OK helping you with proper weight lifting, and none of these shenanigans exercises the trainers in my gym use (there are multiple threads on finding/using a trainer here on NF).

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

Archived