Forums are back in action! ×

Dumbbell Row question.

Malnux

I somehow feel like I'm the only one to who this happens but here it goes:

Whenever I do

s. I feel all the workout on my arm. My arm gets warm and tired but I feel NOTHING on my back. I can't do a pull up so I thought this would be a great exercise to start workout out my back. I tried several times but everytime, my arm gets tired before I can feel my back getting any workout.

Think I'm doing something wrong?

Half-Demon Adventurer (Hoping to become an Assassin)Fitocracy |Twitter

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

Are you pulling the weight up high enough? I've also noticed this with myself, but corrected it by making sure I pulled the weight tight to my side [probably higher than Steve is in this video.] I'm not sure if that's correct, but it did help me to feel it in my back.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Skinny girls look good in clothes. Fit girls look good naked."

[>.<]

I've also never felt it very much in my back, but I've made progress anyway, and have recently started doing pull-ups. :)

What kind of weights/sets are you doing?

Right now I'm just trying to put together a good routine. I'm using 15 lbs dumbbells (go ahead, laugh at my weakness) in sets of 15 or so. I usually just get frustrated at the lack of pain on my back so I give up after one set.

Are you pulling the weight up high enough? I've also noticed this with myself, but corrected it by making sure I pulled the weight tight to my side [probably higher than Steve is in this video.] I'm not sure if that's correct, but it did help me to feel it in my back.

I thought I was pulling it high enough. Maybe I need to pull it higher. I do feel like my arm is not tight enough to my side but I didn't know if it mattered or not so I'll try that too.

Thanks guys! I'll try that today and see how it goes. Hopefully I'll have a sore back tomorrow :D

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

Right now I'm just trying to put together a good routine. I'm using 15 lbs dumbbells (go ahead, laugh at my weakness) in sets of 15 or so. I usually just get frustrated at the lack of pain on my back so I give up after one set.

I'd recommend upping your weight and lowering the number of reps. I do five sets of five reps, increasing the weight each time. Stuff like 3x8 (3 sets, 8 reps) etc. is also good, but generally speaking, anything over 10 is a case of diminishing returns. If you can lift it that many times, you need to be lifting heavier! :)

And before long you'll be coming back like "I did 15 pull-ups today" and we'll be like "Time to tie some weights to your waist!" :D

Also, lack of DOMS generally isn't always a bad sign. I didn't get it very often when I was starting out, and I was concerned too, but I still made a ton of progress. Other people on the forum have voiced similar concerns and had similar results.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Alright, I guess I shall try all these tips, including a bigger weight. Thank you! I can't wait to put a post saying that I did my first pull up!

It's much like how you need to concentrate on benching with your pecs; you need to concentrate on pulling back with your, well, back.

You know how you can move your shoulder forwards and backwards? You need to pull that all the way back as well. Let your arm just hold the weight, like a rope, and pull your shoulders and elbow back. You should feel at least something in your upper back, where the scapula is (look up a picture if you need to see what is :P).

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Malnux, you are not the only one this happens to. I often feel dumbbell rows a lot more in my arm than my back as well. Using a heavier weight and less reps should help you at least feel something in your back.

You can also try the elbow-out row, it hits different muscles, but I definitely feel it in my back more than with the standard version. For me, avoiding back soreness is a plus not a minus. If you have access to a rowing machine, you might want to do some time on there and you should be feeling it in your back and arms pretty quickly.

It's much like how you need to concentrate on benching with your pecs; you need to concentrate on pulling back with your, well, back.

You know how you can move your shoulder forwards and backwards? You need to pull that all the way back as well. Let your arm just hold the weight, like a rope, and pull your shoulders and elbow back. You should feel at least something in your upper back, where the scapula is (look up a picture if you need to see what is :P).

Ditto. It is a common mistake not to concentrate on the primary muscle involved and instead focus on a secondary muscles resulting in over engagement of the secondary muscles and not getting the full training effect on the primary muscle your are trying to training to train. Lifting is as much mental as it is physical. If you think about it your body will do it.

Drive your elbows back instead of thinking about pulling up with the arms. This cues your lats to do the work, rather than your biceps. Which is beneficial, because the lats really are a powerhouse once you get access to them.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Archived