Forums are back in action! ×

Marathon-ing

I"m determined to run a full marathon next may. I just found out that in December 11 there is a 10k/half/full marathon in my area, and I'm considering signing up for that. Right now the best I've done has been 8.5k in an hour, but I feel I could comfortably run a 10k, and then some (I use the term "run" loosely as I'm quite slow, but it's faster than my fastest speed walk and that's what is important too me. I could care less about time).

Just wondering if people think Dec.11 would be too soon for my level. Anyone have advise? I did find a running program on runners world, which was a 16 wk program for marathon running. My thoughts were to start that right in the new year. Which will give me time for sick days (I get sick a lot) and late May marathon. But I'm not sure if slightly less than 2 months is enough for a half? I have a tendency to think big then crash :)

i'm not a marathon runner, but.

what's the worst thing that could happen? you sign up, you have to walk some of it and finish in a longer time than you want?

i say go for it.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Been running for a few months. Probably three. Mostly treadmill at the gym. Weekly mileage is not high. Lately only about 10k. Though I will probably drop a few things to pick up running more.

Spez and Dantes: I like the way you two think.

I was looking ahead at races in the area and I think I will do another 5k on Haloween. Two weeks later is a metric marathon, so I think I'll run a metric half which is 13.1k, then a month later is the actual half

I ran a marathon on 10/10/10. I wouldn't rush it if you just started running recently (also consider why you feel you want to run one as it really challenged my enjoyment of running). The training period is something to take seriously, I didn't, so much, and it was painful. I finished... but... yeah.

Well I'm going for it. Found an 8 week training program online. Which means I have to jump right in on week 2. But there's nothing in the first few weeks that I haven't done yet. I like it. One long run on Saturdays (since my race is Saturday). Rest Sunday. During the week 2 shorter runs and 2 cross training (which I will probably use to jump back in with the Strong Lifts program like I've been wanting to for a while), plus a rest day. Definitely do-able.

I now have my calendar filled in with every workout that I'll be doing from now until Dec. 11. It's a little scary :shock:

Well I'm going for it. Found an 8 week training program online. Which means I have to jump right in on week 2. But there's nothing in the first few weeks that I haven't done yet. I like it. One long run on Saturdays (since my race is Saturday). Rest Sunday. During the week 2 shorter runs and 2 cross training (which I will probably use to jump back in with the Strong Lifts program like I've been wanting to for a while), plus a rest day. Definitely do-able.

I now have my calendar filled in with every workout that I'll be doing from now until Dec. 11. It's a little scary :shock:

i think you should use the warrior dash training plan for this.

1. Day one: run as far as you can. Go home. Day two: do the same thing.

:)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”