Forums are back in action! ×

Fave shoes?

I'm on the hunt for a new pair of training shoes. All my current shoes are designed for running. I'm looking for something lighter weight for wear while I'm doing weights. I have almost no arch and roll my feet in, so I need something that will give me a little bit of arch support.

TIA!

When you're named after the goddess of war, you better deliver.

The Goddess of Electronics:excitement:

6 Week Challenge!!

I used to have Skechers Afterburns...until I busted the side on them. However, they did make it through 9 weeks of PT in Police Academy, plus 1 year of nearly daily wear at my previous work. To me they were comfy, I've ran multiple miles wearing them. I was wearing them to lift weights as well. Plus the're only $40

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

My lifting shoe of choice is a pair of knockoff Chuck Taylors from Walmart.

It might sound counterintuitive, but if you're going to be doing leg work you don't want to be pushing against anything except the floor or a thin, hard sole. Cushy supports and such diminish your force transfer, and that is bad.

If you want to lift in your shoes, get something with as little cushion as possible. You lose some power to the "squish" of a traditional running shoe sole, and there's potential for rolling, which is baaad when you're squatting/deadlifting/pressing.

I really like the NB Minimus line — they're really light, have almost no sole to speak of (even on the trail model), and hold up really well. I've used mine on the trail, on the street, and in they gym at least 3 days a week since November, and they're only starting to fray around the edges.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

when you're lifting go with as minimal cushioning as possible because otherwise you're lifting on an unstable surface and the heel alters your mechanics for the lift (i lift in vibrams and just took my shoes off before i got them for olympic stuff, squats and deadlifts, probably best to do that with rows and OHP as well tbh)

though for running in i do prefer my Nike Free's (i'm naturally a better sprinter so when i run i run bloody fast but not for very long :D and that requires a touch of cushioning, but for longer distance (for me that's like 3 miles) if i can get on grass i'd definitely wear my vibrams)

My lifting shoe of choice is a pair of knockoff Chuck Taylors from Walmart.

It might sound counterintuitive, but if you're going to be doing leg work you don't want to be pushing against anything except the floor or a thin, hard sole. Cushy supports and such diminish your force transfer, and that is bad.

I totally have those knock offs from walmart you are talking about. I love those!

I have really bad pronation - naturally high arches, flat footprint. I tried on some vibrams around the place, and found that weirdly, despite not having arch support that I could see, they pulled my feet into the right position with no effort. I am currently saving up for a pair or three to wear as daily shoes (and also toesocks to wear with them because London is bloody cold).

That said, I've busted my usual highly-cushioned, massively corrected trainers, so I'm looking for new shoes too. Considering maybe the nike minimal whatever-its-called, if it fits (it's 50% off down the road atm). I do want to go minimal, but ... I do find my feet hurt a lot if I walk around too much, and the level of pain seems related to the level of cushion between me and the ground. Slip-on flats that are basically nothing except a flexible sole have very limited utility, whereas my knee-high boots with 2 inch thick soles I can jump up and down in for hours without a worry.

Half Dragon, Half Elf, Level 0.5 Assassin - I flame people when cranky, but I'm seriously kickass.STR 4 | DEX 2.5 | STA 3.25 | CON 5 | WIS 8.75 | CHA 4 | Challenges: 1  2 3 4 5 | myFitnessPal | Spreadsheet | fitbitChallenge 6, Back to the assassin's rootsBlog: float knowledge return wisdom;

Photography

I switch between VFF KSOs and Merrell Trail Gloves. Both instill a lot more confidence on heavy lifts than running shoes (my DL went from a stalled 225 to 315 in about 3 weeks), and I am too much of a newbie to need actual lifting shoes.

2/13/12

Starting Primal and free weights

10/02/12

Starting LeanGains. Still lifting all the things.

Fitocracy

You know, I didn't really think of the cushion being a problem. I've been a runner and I'm so worried normally about not getting enough cushion. Will look at shoes with less cushion for days that I do lifting.

If you have flat arches than your shoe choice is sort of moot until you do something about arch resiliency. A couple people here have wisely recommended VFFs and I'd second (third) that, with the addition that you should -walk all over the place- in the them for a while to help stiffen and raise your arches. Flat arches == weak feet, courtesy of all those arch-supporting shoes (when you bolster an arch in the middle you actually weaken the structure). My left foot used to be relatively flat. I went to PT where they recommended fiberglass inserts to "support" my arch. It made my shins feel better but then I could never run without orthotics. I started wearing Vibrams a couple years ago when they came out. After a few false starts I ended up doing a ton of walking in them, around 20 miles a week. Over the course of the following year I noticed that I was buying a different shoe size. Whereas I'd been an 8-8.5 I now wear a 7-7.5, my arches are higher, and I very much free of orthotics/arch support.

Another benefit of more minimal shoes while lifting is improve proprioception, i.e. your foot's ability to perceive and react to the surface upon which it's standing.

Vibrams, all the way, if you don't want to do it just plain barefoot.

There are many styles of Vibrams now. I really like the Bikram style, as they are a little harder on the bottoms, which makes long walks on concrete easier. The classic and sprint styles have a softer, thinner sole, which work great for yoga and beach running. They would work for lifting, too, I would think.

Have you ever tried minimalist shoes? I have flat feet as well and I was worried about that before I tried them. I ended up buying a pair of the Merrel True Gloves, which I use to run and exercise in. I looove them! And the whole barefoot concept. Don't get me wrong, it took a little while to work into them (my calves hurt for 2 weeks!) but it's worth it. I run faster and my feet don't hurt, even after being on them for long hours. Good luck with the shoe shopping!

When I read this title, my thought was 'I've got this pair of stiletto boots that I totally kill in'.

Wait, fitness shoes, Amy. It's a fitness forum.

Echo the Vibrams. They are pretty awesome.

WarriorAmy
{Insert motivational script here}
STR - 4|DEX - 2|STA - 6|CON - 4 |WIS - 6|CHA- 5

I'm with Corbab, I love my New balance Minimus shoes. Been using the cross trainers for about 10 months for lifting/sprinting, and they're still holding together well minus some roughed up spots. I loved them so much I even got a pair of the trails which work well for everything I've done in them.

Archived