Forums are back in action! ×

shin splints, or muscle pain?

spatzcat

Where exactly is the pain, when do you feel it and how does it feel?

Either way, you can keep going, you just need to slow down slightly. Also, ice and elevation are your friends. My physical therapist told me to put water in paper or styrofoam cups and freeze it. After a workout, peel the cup down to the ice and rub it around where the pain is located. More effective than just sitting a bag of frozen peas where it hurts.

When you're named after the goddess of war, you better deliver.

The Goddess of Electronics:excitement:

6 Week Challenge!!

A quick search of Google confirmed what I was already thinking. In most cases, there is no difference. Muscles straining and swelling are what we call shin splints a lot of times. When it comes to taking a break, or keep going, that is up to you. Only you can gauge what you are feeling. But be careful not to push too hard. The shin splints are being caused by something (usually too much shock when you hit the ground, often caused by improper form) and if you continue doing what you are doing, then they will only get worse (trust me, I had really bad shin splints because I kept pushing through them, caused me to stop running for awhile).

By the same token, there is some truth behind pushing through it. Again, you are the best judge, and do what feels best for you.

The best thing you can do is to do thunderbolt pose from yoga after EVERY workout--this is where you sit on your feet with your toes pointed backwards. I always gently rock back onto my feet to extend the stretch. Few people really pay attention to stretching their shins, but as a ballerina, if you don't you cant dance...also, pay attention to your activities and see if you are excessively lifting your toe when walking or running because this over flexing can cause them to be worse. Applying cold salt water soaks and ice will help and taking magnesium supplements to bowel tolerance (oxide will make you crap, I take aspartate or citrate...) feel better...

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

From what I've learned with my experience with them "shin splints" is used as an umbrella term for most things that can go wrong with that area of your legs while running. I've had them twice and it was sharp pains on the inside of my shin but it can also show itself in aches or what feels like muscle pain.

Usually they are because of the wrong technique or incorrect running shoes. my best advice is to cut right back on the running until there is no pain and once they feel better, start back at running but go slow and really concentrate on your form and how your feet are landing. If you need to cardio in the meantime, I reccomend low impact stuff like swimming, cycling or cross trainer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

how do I know the difference? And, if I do have shin splints, how long of a break before I start again? or, do I keep going? but first, is it muscle pain, or shin splints?

You need to determine if they're anterior or posterior (different causes, different treatments). Anterior == front of the leg to the outside of the tibia. Posterior == back/interior of the leg, generally above the ankle but below mid-calf.

The best thing you can do is to do thunderbolt pose from yoga after EVERY workout--this is where you sit on your feet with your toes pointed backwards.

Ouch! That always hurts me like a mother when I do it after running. I guess it's because I really need to stretch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

I did go out again today, i didn't provide any background info sorry - I am doing couch to 5k, and Thurs night was my first time out, - ever, i've never ran before.

SO! I pushed too hard the first time out, went to fast, also went up hill.

yeah. i know. i know.

so I did some reading, and all of that was a bad idea. hahahahahahahah.

Anyway, unicronassassin - that stretch is amazing, amazing! i felt so good after that stretch. Went out this morning, was more careful about my pace, i was more careful about my form, I did not run up a hill, did the stretch after I came back, and it was great.

Also, instead of doing the full 20 minutes, I cut it to 15 min. that was better for me. I have some, but almost no pain left today.

I am confident that this will improve if I pace myself accordingly.

Thank you everyone!

Never let your fear decide your fate.

Spatzcat, I believe you should really consider researching running form. It is imperative that you learn to run correctly from the start, or you may get soured on the whole thing. I hated running because of the pain you describe. Once I learned to run properly I found it doesn't have to be painful.. sometimes it's even fun.

Google Barefoot Running and do some reading. I'm not suggesting that you actually run barefoot, but the form used is the least abusive to your body. You can apply it to regular running shoes or even the minimalist type, such as Vibrams. Good luck!

You'll often have shin splints when you work/overwork your calf muscles. The imbalance between calf and shin brings pain. On a day you work your calves hard (such as uphill running) do some toe raises to compensate. Stand at the edge of something like a sidewalk, toes sticking out over the hang, weight on your heels. Lift and lower toes 10 times. Rinse and repeat. Stretch after. You should be stretching after every workout, anyway.

Whiteraven

Monk

STR 5.75 | DEX 3.75 | STA 7.5 | CON 4 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Equipment: The Gauntlets of the Wind SPD +1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To do anything in this world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in, and scramble through as well as we can.

Sydney Smith (1771 - 1845)

Current Six Week Challenge!

My NerdFitness Blog

My General Blog

Archived