Forums are back in action! ×

Minor Injury Prevention

I have been a part of Nerd Fitness for about the past year. I've picked up both the Fitness Guide and the Strength Guide. I lost about 15 lbs last spring and summer thanks to the Fitness Guide. Then I pulled some tendons in my right wrist.

For a while, I put away the Guides, partly because of the injury spooking me and partially because work had me traveling all week every week. At the end of last year, I decided to run a 10k. My little brother, 18 and soon to be running his third marathon, inspired me to start. Then I pulled my back (not the first time). After a week or so recovery, I got back into running. A few weeks later, I pulled my back again. I waited a week and got back into running. Then I pulled some tendons in my right ankle. Three long weeks later and I start running again, though was a bit weary. A week or so after that, I picked up the Fitness Guide again, wanting to work more muscles than just my legs. Two weeks ago, I pulled my back again. And I'm still getting twinges in it.

My 10k is just under a month away. I've barely run the past month or so thanks to these 'fun' injuries. I have no doubt in my mind that I will run and complete the 10k next month. But I've also signed up for a half marathon in October. If my injuries keep up, I won't be able to make that one. I need to get my back, my wrists, and my ankles in better shape before I do much else.

All jokes aside about wrist exercises, what would my fellow rebels recommend for me to do to strengthen my back, wrists, and ankles to help prevent further injury?

I wouldn't count on being able to run that 10K if I were you. It's not fun to hear, but it's the truth. When you say you 'pull a tendon', where is the pain? Right in the wrist? That's bad, see a doctor. Pulling your back is also annoying, but it could something as minor as a grade I strain. Still, see a doc. If it's a strain, you'll have to take some rest and gradually work your way back into exercise.

So, basically, see a doc. The back thing might be a strain, but I don't know what you mean by "pull a tendon". So see a doc.

In case you didn't get it yet, go see a doc. I'm serious.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Good. What was the diagnosis (just interested)?

For your back: deadlifts. Start light and work your way up, pay much attention to form.

For your wrists: wrist work. This can be done with a

(use both underhand and overhand grip) or something like
and
(he's doing them way too explosively in the video IMO). Again, start out light (for wrist pushups I use a one hand flipped over on the knees variation). If you're doing the latter, combine it with some grip work. I've heard rock climbing is awesome for working your grip.

For your ankles: Foot Drills. Also, stretch your calves.

Here's some more info on feet, knees, hips and lower back stuff:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/02/so-you-hurt-your-lower-back/

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/10/a-firm-foundation-focusing-on-the-feet/

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2011/05/so-you-hurt-your-knee/

Hope that helps. ;)

Thanks for the advice!

As for the diagnosis, it was a rather weak one. Once stress fracture (my biggest concern), pulled muscle, and other causes were ruled out (tentatively), he said it might be a pulled tendon. As that is the best diagnosis, that's what I've been going with. Since then, I've wanted to shore up my weaker areas so they wouldn't cause me more injuries, which have been souring me on fitness in general.

Thanks for the links, 161803398874989. My wrist and elbow tendinitis was making me miserable after lifting today, and the wrist exercise here was nothing short of miraculous.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

Try looking into the POSE method of running. This style of running really biases injury prevention.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

You didn't mention where in your back the pulls were coming from. Upper vs lower back pulls are worlds apart in dealing with.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

You didn't mention where in your back the pulls were coming from. Upper vs lower back pulls are worlds apart in dealing with.

Ehhh... what? You mean like vertical (upper) pulling and horizontal (lower) pulling?

How much time do you devote to warm-up and post-exercise stretching?

Upper back strengthening - do MOAR pull-ups, bent over barbell rows

Lower back - deadlifts

Wrists - farmers walks help along with the other suggestions

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

Archived