Forums are back in action! ×

Lady of the Bog: Sweats Like an Orc, Lives like a Hobbit, and (hopes to) Look like an Elf

9 hours ago, Kishi said:

I love it for the quick clean up myself. I don't have a dishwasher where I stay, so the less dishes I have to do, the better. IP definitely helps with that!

Sounds like back when I used to work in the restaurant biz on night shift coming in to work a morning shift. So weird!

Anyway. Get thee to the gym!

kishi, join the instant pot brigade! and yes, to the gym i went. and it was good.

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

Day 26

Whenever I type out the dates I think of the account of isildur from the fellowship (the year 3434 of the second age here follows the account of isildur and the finding the ring of power-- the year 2018 of the second age here follows the account of sophie and the finding of the butt of power). going to have to incorporate that somehow :lol:

So, made it to the gym. lifts are as follows:

• Band Hip Thrust 5 x 5 (175 lbs)
  • Bent over row 3 x 10 @ 45 lbs
  • Curtsy Lunge 3 x 10 (for extra-ness used a step to get deep @ 40 lbs)
  • Sitting row 3 x 15 @ 50 lbs
  • dumbbell romanian deadlifts 3 x 10 (70 lbs)
  • Hip Abduction 3 x 10 (110 lbs- sitting at the edge of the seat to get more outer glute activation. love these)

xxoo

• Like 1

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

34 minutes ago, ladyofthebog said:

ooh, yes! i will share when i have more of a free moment. in fact, i want to start a recipe thread as i'm always cooking and cook relatively healthy meals. maybe we should start a thread for instant pot recipes? just thinking about that darling device makes me grin.

What an awesome idea. Though I'm not the best at writing recipes, as I'm usually just add a bit of this , and then some of that:)

Made roast beef tonight. I sprinkled it with some Prime Rib rub, then did 1/2 cup wine, and  1 1/2 cups bone broth. Cooked for 45 minutes- I'm still figuring out times. It was well done and I would have liked it to be only medium. It was really good though. Oh,  wait, I forgot, first step I sautéed it in some coconut oil to brown the sides first, then i poured in a bit of broth, and stirred up some up the meat bits into the broth, then I added the rest of the liquid.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

What an awesome idea. Though I'm not the best at writing recipes, as I'm usually just add a bit of this , and then some of that:)

Made roast beef tonight. I sprinkled it with some Prime Rib rub, then did 1/2 cup wine, and  1 1/2 cups bone broth. Cooked for 45 minutes- I'm still figuring out times. It was well done and I would have liked it to be only medium. It was really good though. Oh,  wait, I forgot, first step I sautéed it in some coconut oil to brown the sides first, then i poured in a bit of broth, and stirred up some up the meat bits into the broth, then I added the rest of the liquid.

I think that the "little of this and a little of that" practice is evidence that you are a skilled chef! I like that recipe, I should try it for the family.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Azukmul gro-Dragnar said:

I am 100% in favour of you renaming your battle log "Sophie and the Butt of Power." 

You have me chuckling! How funny is this if you replace ring with butt?

man, i should. i'm not sure if my butt is worthy of such a title. you know what works though? sophie and the FINDING of the butt of power. then the question is will i use the butt of power for good or evil? deep thoughts w/ sophie (who else loved that SNL skit?)

• Haha 1

Day 26 and 27  (whoops... hit post before finished!)

So, yes, I've trained glutes three days in a row but I have a conscious plan with it and am aware of the implications for my SRA: https://bretcontreras.com/your-optimal-training-frequency-for-the-glutes-part-i-exercise-type/

Yesterday I did a Day 22 from 80 Day Obsession. Like I've said before I'm incredulous of Beachbody workouts (even the name sucks) but I did enjoy this one and I do like access to a bunch of workout videos from home. Additionally, I got some new bands which were just a hair more expensive but so worth it (for more on this, you could check out my challenge where I updated yesterday).

Today, I did workout C from my new progression. I pushed through to hit my quest squat goal! Hooray! Officially squatting 3x3 @ 155 lbs (a fair chunk over my body weight! almost to 125% for 3x3 and calculating max level 130% for rep max of 169 lbs.

I worked up to 155 doing the bar for 15 to warm up, then 95 lbs for x3, 105lbs  x3, 125 x3, and then 145 lbs x3. So, yeah, twas a super graduated progression.

a lot of it's mental for me. The squat freaks me out. I realize I can get out of it if things go bad but there's that moment at the bottom where I worry. Kind of embarrassing but I really used visualization before my squats today and it worked really well. I genuinely thought I'd buckle but I didn't. I imagined exploding out from my lift kind of like how I used to explode out of the starting blocks in track and field. It felt good to connect to that super intense energy that I used to crave.

• Barbell Hip Thrust 2 x 20 (60 lbs used this as an activation exercise my glutes and warm up essentially)
  • Strict Standing Db Shoulder Press 3 x 8 (45 lbs)
  • Back Squat 3 x 3 (aforementioned 155 lbs)
  • wide grip pulldown 3x 12 (60 lbs, suck at these)
  • Deadlift 3 x 3 (155 lbs- felt great!)
  • Side Lying Hip Raise 3 x 12 ( i hate these)

xxoo

• Like 1

Eyyyyyy, congrats with your squat goals! I hope you can here me clapping from Europe :D There's nothing embarassing about using visualisation during the workouts (and even before them). It's proven to help, even pros are using it, so...there must be a reason for it I guess :D i like to use it too when I feel like I can't squeeze another rep. Keep it up :)

• Like 1

Training logs | Monthly updates

Player stats (as of 18.06.2018):

Weight: 68.4kg (150.8 lbs)

BMI: 22.9

Muscle mass: 56.2kg  (123.9lbs, around 82% of body mass)

Body fat: 14.8%

Circumferences:

- Chest: 84cm (33 inches)

- Belly: 82.5cm (32.5 inches)

- Buttocks: 91cm (35.8 inches)

- Thigh: 52cm (20.5 inches)

- Bicep: 30cm (11.8 inches)

On 5/19/2018 at 11:53 AM, solski said:

Eyyyyyy, congrats with your squat goals! I hope you can here me clapping from Europe :D There's nothing embarassing about using visualisation during the workouts (and even before them). It's proven to help, even pros are using it, so...there must be a reason for it I guess :D i like to use it too when I feel like I can't squeeze another rep. Keep it up :)

maybe i'll integrate a chakra visualization next time but probably too heady :P thank you! must keep going!

23 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Congrats on reaching your squat goals!!!! Woot, woot!

why thank you, fitnessurl! i love having your support :)

• Like 1

Day 28 and 29

It's been quiet on this front because I've been down with the sickness either viral or food poisoning but I am leaning towards food poisoning. I'm finally feeling better tonight so I'm going to brave the gym tomorrow. Fingers crossed do now turn into wobble-heap.

4 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

Day 28 and 29

It's been quiet on this front because I've been down with the sickness either viral or food poisoning but I am leaning towards food poisoning. I'm finally feeling better tonight so I'm going to brave the gym tomorrow. Fingers crossed do now turn into wobble-heap.

Hope you're better soon!

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

Day 30

Workout A today. Felt good but took a long time probably because I take awhile to work up to my working sets on my major lifts (ie hip thrust 5x5 is actualy like 1x15, 2x10, 5x5). Wound up running around today while my daughter was over at my in-law though I did a lot of meal prep (slow cooker bbq chicken, coconut-lime quinoa, sweet potatoes, tofu marinated in the fridge, and zucchini muffins).

Spent some time hanging with my husband's brother who is back from university. He's such an open, kind person. Talking to him make me feel a wisp of nostalgia.

I'm 32 now. I'm a woman, decidedly no longer a girl (cue Spears). I want to learn to finally *really* love myself. What would that look like? What a journey being a person is. There's always more inner landscape to explore and chart. Astronaut of the soul.

A:

Band Hip Thrust 5 x 5 (185 lbs w/ three second pause at top; up in weight 10 lbs this week)

Bent over row 3 x 10 @ 60 lbs (using dumbbells; up in weight 10 pounds this week)

supersetted w/ lateral raise 3x10 w 12.5 lbs

Deficit Curtsy Lunge 3 x 10 (used an aerobic step to get the extra depth @ 40 lbs, 10 reps per leg)

Sitting row 3 x 10 @ 60 lbs

dumbbell romanian deadlifts 3 x 10 (37.5 lbs each hand; up in weight 5 pounds this week)

supersetted w/ band work

Hip Abduction 3 x 10 (125 lbs- sitting at the edge of the seat to get more outer glute activation; up in weight 15 lbs)

Looking forward to some halo ice cream (peanut butter! new flavor!) and westworld.

xxoo

• Like 1

Day 31, 32, and 34

day 31: Ran and did a workout video, 21 day fix cardio, with a friend. I'm thinking about signing up for a 5k but don't really want to train specifically for it because my focus is on lifting?

day 32: lifted

Workout A (accidentally got B and A mixed up this week!)

(technically deload week)

Barbell Hip Thrust 3 x 10 @ 155 lbs (these were rough)

Push Press 5 x 8 @ 45 lbs (disapponted w/ my strength here. I used to liftmore and with less effort)

Heels Elevated Goblet Squat 3 x 10 @ 32.5 lbs

• superseted w/ 12 lbs bent lateral raises 3x10

Lat pull down 3x 10 60 lbs

Bodyweight 45-degree Hyperextension 3 x 30

Banded GLUTE BURN OUT

Knee-Banded Fire Hydrant 1 min (30 seconds each leg)

glute bridge w/ abduction at top 1 min

single leg glute bridge 1 min (30 seconds each leg)

don't know how to describe- standing with leg kick back at angle 1 min

clams 1 min (30 seconds each leg)

frog pumps 1 min + until failure (these are the best burn despite being so embarrassing)

day 34: pilates from 21 day fix. love me some pilates, i'll tell you what. pilates people like to talk a lot about muscle lengthening- is this really a thing?

Butt progress (shared also on my current challenge where I talk more about feelings):IMG_1531.thumb.JPG.d8427d596412cecbb587657664d95f63.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 12:53 AM, Azukmul gro-Dragnar said:

No, muscle lengthening isn't a thing, otherwise your muscles would stretch past your limbs at some point.  I think it's more like a bad cue for some of the movements that people have begun taking literally.  

You're looking good, Sophie.  I do hope the harp in the background isn't just for show.

yeah, i'm incredulous of the muscle lengthening thing too! that said, people who do a lot of pilates/yoga/dance do look great but i think that has more to do with how muscle growth happens and muscle density than "lengthening." this is science, clearly, lol.

man, this harp would be one hell of an expensive conversation piece. what i mean is, it's not! i've played since third grade!

• Like 1

Day 35

My lift schedule is all messed up because of being sick last Monday and then accidentally switching A and B. Back on schedule this week. Lifted yesterday:

Schedule A

Barbell Hip Thrust 3 x 10 @ 175 lbs (huh, like rocked it here. good form. my glute strength seems to be increasing rapidly probably in part due to regular training and a variety of different kinds of exercises)

Push Press 5 x 8 @ 55 lbs (very hard! where has my strength gone here? was very strong with my push press pre-baby)

Heels Elevated Goblet Squat 3 x 10 @ 35 lbs

• superseted w/ band booty work

Lat pull down 3x 10 60 lbs

Body weight 45-degree Hyper-extension 3 x 30

Curls 3x14 w/ 15lbs each hand

Going to do a workout video today- something cardio probably.

• Like 1

Just here to echo that glute training probably reacts really well to high frequency. I use Pavel's Simple and Sinister, and he advocates training frequencies as high as 6 days/week with kettlebell swings, which do involve the glutes and hamstrings a great deal. I've done it that often before with great results and no trouble, so. Frequency. Glutes like it.

I'm sorry to hear you've been under the weather, but it sounds like you're back at it. Cool. Keep going!

(also, don't freak about push press. It'll come back if you keep practicing).

• Like 1
On 5/29/2018 at 10:37 AM, Kishi said:

Just here to echo that glute training probably reacts really well to high frequency. I use Pavel's Simple and Sinister, and he advocates training frequencies as high as 6 days/week with kettlebell swings, which do involve the glutes and hamstrings a great deal. I've done it that often before with great results and no trouble, so. Frequency. Glutes like it.

I'm sorry to hear you've been under the weather, but it sounds like you're back at it. Cool. Keep going!

(also, don't freak about push press. It'll come back if you keep practicing).

Yes! High frequency is the rationale that governs the program I am following right now. I did a squats every day program awhile back (brutal) and had good results with it. I think that the key is the type of glute exercise and how you vary them for hypertrophy and modest strength gains.

Thank you! I am feeling better. Had a few glasses of wine last night and feeling worse the wear for it but other than that keeping at it!

• Like 2

Day 36, 37

36: Lifted, Workout B

Band Hip Thrust 5 x 5 @ 195 lbs (going to make my challenge goal)

Close-Grip Push Up 3 x AMRAP

Curtsy Lunge 3 x 10 @ 40 lbs

Bent-over Row 3 x 10 @ 65 lbs

Dumbbell dead lift 3 x 15 @ 70 lbs

Band Standing Hip Abduction 3 x 10

Day 37: workout video, mashup of insanity and piyo (fun stuff)

• Like 2

Day 38, 39

38: barre class

39: lifted on an empty stomach and it sucked. I felt like I could feel the strength draining from my muscles. BUT I did get it in and I'm glad for that...

Barbell Hip Thrust 2 x 10 (195 lbs)

Strict Standing Db Shoulder Press 3 x 8 (45 lbs)

Back Squat 3 x 10 (110 lbs)

Deadlift 3 x 3 (175 lbs)

bicep curls 3x15 (30 lbs)

Side Lying Hip Raise 3 x 12

• Like 2

Day 41

(double posted over on my quest)

Fell over yesterday tripping attempting to vault a baby gait.  I have some pretty sick (in a good way!) bruises to show for it but my knee hurts so I didn't workout yesterday and today I deviated from my usual lifts to do an upper body workout. I've been feeling a little worse for the wear lately. Still, mood is killer and there's been a spate of good happenings lately: healthy niece born last week, successful surgery for my brother in law, and (excite excite!) my friend from college is coming back to live in PDX this July. He's an obsessive dungeon master which bodes well for some righteous gaming coming up. CANNOT WAIT.

Still feeling like I don't have a clear vision for the house build. A lot of it is because I'm committed to recycled materials at least partly so I'm waiting till we find key pieces. Flooring picked out and going w/ marble countertops probably so I have that vision. I think just getting the build done is enough for me now (we have two months). Trusting that it'll come together.

I'm trying to figure out who I am lately. Feels something like adolescence. I like to think of myself as some kind of (aspiring) Valkyrie, bada$$, pool shark, word traveler but these days I spend most of my time hanging out at parks, singing songs, cooking up a storm, and tending to my family. I know I can be both but it's a mind bending for sure.

Lifts

Overhead press 3x10 @ 45 lbs

*supersetted w/ arnold curls 3x15 @ 40 lbs

bent over row 3x10 @ 32.5 lbs (one hand)

straight arm pull down 3 x 10 @ 60 lbs

tricep overhead thing 3x 15 @ 20 lbs

3 minutes ago, ladyofthebog said:

I'm trying to figure out who I am lately. Feels something like adolescence.

I know this feeling well.  Sometimes I feel like I wasted my adult life working and taking care of ill family.  Feels like the last time I took a proper holiday was in 2015, but might as well have been a lifetime ago.  Feels like obligation anchoring you down when you just want to float in the wind.

I like to think of myself as some kind of (aspiring) Valkyrie, bada$$, pool shark, word traveler but these days I spend most of my time hanging out at parks, singing songs, cooking up a storm, and tending to my family. I know I can be both but it's a mind bending for sure.

Sounds pretty badass to me, already.