Forums are back in action! ×

The Next Stage of My Journey

Hi Bong here

At 56 years of age my body is breaking down due to lack of care so I am highly motivated to change my lifestyle and get out of chronic pain. A career IT guy meant sitting at a monitor for 8-12 hours a day but even that meant we moved a bit during the day. Walking from meeting to meeting throughout the day was usually good for 1-2 miles a day. In June 2017 after 26 years my job was eliminated and I was out of work (thankfully my severance package keeps me on salary and medical until the end of this year). 

So I took a break. Started sleeping more, eating worse and got almost no exercise. Since then my weight spiked to more than 370 lbs, I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon due to chronic back pain which got worse last November. For now his course of treatment is for me to continue with exercises I learned during physical therapy and to adopt a healthier lifestyle starting with my diet. 

The success examples were inspiring and some I could relate to but most importantly the advice on exercise, nutrition and how to hold ourselves accountable seemed reasonable and fun so here I am. 

Bong Santos

Sonoran Desert Preserve, Arizona 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the boards. I have found plenty of supportive members here and so will you. There are 4 week challenges on the forum too but no one says you have to be strictly bound by them and can't create your own challenge to motivate yourself. I always like hearing from I.T. guys and gals. Oh...and best of luck to you.  

Hi there Bong! I'm so glad you found your way here - unemployment IS tough on both the body and mind, and all the kudos to you for deciding to make changes and get back on track.

What sorts of exercises are you doing in physical therapy? Has your doctor recommended any specific diet changes, or are you starting on your own?

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Hello Sky, 

The elimination of my job was a surprise although my former employer has been cutting it's full time employees and outsourcing on an annual since 1999 so it was expected at some point. Since I had 26 years with the company my severance extends from spring 2017 to October 2018 so this has been a chance to unwind, recharge and sleep......a lot. 

Most of the PT work is to strengthen the abdomen and legs to better support my back. Stretching and body weight resistance is most of what I'm doing and it's getting me results. My orthopedic surgeon happens to believe surgery should be the last resort so is encouraging me to continue PT and to eat better. Right now I'm simply avoiding sugar, starches like bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc mostly keeping with veggies and fruit both raw and cooked. Other than the plant based protein I'll have at least once per day eggs, chicken or beef. 

In addition to the PT I also hike easy trails here in Arizona at least two or three times per week. 

Thanks for reaching out.