Forums are back in action! ×

For all the runners out there

I just read an article about this in Runner's World and am definitely not going to be running barefoot in the next couple of months and can't afford the hideous monkey shoes, but really wish I'd gotten some Nike Frees instead of Asics Cumuluses last paycheck now. I can't justify two pair of running shoes in one month, but will be watching anxiously to see what comes out before my next new pair (bows head and prays for christmas money). The Asics were highly recommended and feel ok, but for anything other than running (i.e. parkour, strength/balance stuff), they totally suck because they are SO thick and SO heavy and NOT flexible AT ALL. I can't really afford multiple pairs at a time, so I won't be going back to cushioned running shoes EVER because they don't really suit my needs. That said, I feel like I had been warned and sort of blew it because I did read that Asics were better for heavier runners (BMI, not total body weight) and knew I wasn't one.

alr

"The future will be different if we make the present different."

Peter Maurin

I get stopped alllll the time wearing them in my gym.

Just wear them and act hardcore.

People will come up and ask but they're really just using them as a talking point to discuss the finer points of some things.

I've actually made a couple friends through people asking me about the shoes.

Good for spotting partners.

I'm not taking sides on the barefoot running thing or anything but I do sell running shoes for a living so I thought I would point out that the spring season's new releases are going to be out in the next couple of months, which makes it an excellent time to hit clearances and buy up some cheap shoes that are getting discontinued or updated. If you run in shoes and are running any real mileage on a regular basis, you really need to be replacing your shoes every three to six months, depending on your strike, weight, mileage, etc. The great thing about buying shoes that are getting moved out to make way for the new ones is that you can read all the reviews first and have a better idea what will work for you. Check out the soles of your old ones and figure out whether you have a neutral stride of over- or under-pronate. The greatest stability shoe in the world will still suck for you if you happen not to need a stability shoe. Most importantly, DO NOT buy anything that does not feel good the first time you put it on. It will not feel better when you break it in. What will happen is that it will break YOU in. Running shoes DO NOT improve with age. They feel good from day one or they feel worse with every passing day. Try on several pairs and compare and do not fall for the awesome looking ones unless they feel even better than they look. Fads pass but your joints have to last the rest of your life.

Days are getting longer - more time for running! Yay!

!!!

alr

Peter Maurin

Make the transition gradually, a couple of days barefoot at first, and then full-time once you build up the strength and whatnot for it. I have heard a lot of good stuff from the runners I deal with at work, but all of them do say they prefer to use shoes a couple of days a week to rest and also for longer distances (mostly because they don't take many days off even after half marathons, etc., although it might be different with a less strenuous schedule than five days of three mile minimums per week).

alr

Peter Maurin

The thing to keep in mind with vibrams is that they will smell. You don't want to wear them anywhere where you'd be taking them off and waving your stinky bare feet around. Thus, another pair of running shoes can really come in handy.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Sure, but it's like a foot sock (incidentally I'm told you can buy footy socks to fit under them. They're rather pricy). Just saying you'll have times when they're not dry from the wash and you want to do something outside. A back-up pair at a discount price can be handy. Great tip, ALR.

That said, I was incredibly pleased with my vibrams when I wore them regularily. They're just fun, and your stride changes in a good way when you use them. They're great to run with.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins