Forums are back in action! ×

Question for the sages

My question is this,

Why is it so easy to get into a workout mindset at the gym but not at home even when I know its cheaper, and more effective to do body weight exercises....well I guess I know why it is easier. When I get home and immediately get the family and head off to my daughters Karate class (three minutes from our gym) I'm already out and about and the gym has child care for our 2 yo, so the wife and I both get to work out and I (we) love it.   At home, well there are all the responsibilities of being at home and the list never gets any smaller it seems. Not sure what if any advice there is for this but I needed to get it off my chest. 

Thanks for listening.

• Like 1

6 week challenge

1%
1%

Weight goal 260 Current weight 265

50%
50%

Because when you go to a gym, you are free to do the only thing you really can do at a gym... train.  And look in the mirror.  And text.  And smacktalk others.  

I am getting off track.

At home, you have a bajillion other things that can easily take up your time.

If you want to train at home, actually schedule a specific time when you can.  "sorry, I can't check my e-mail/flip the laundry/do the thing, it's 6:30 and that means push up time!"

Sounds to me from your little snippet that going to a gym might be the better solution, especially if you enjoy it.  Training in a manner that you enjoy and can be consistent in is more important that doing something "effective" (means different things to different people) inconsistently.

training at home is like training at the gym. you need to set a slot for it, and for that period, you are training. 

ok, i think that's pretty much dragnar said too, so just seconding it. 

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

Can you get to the gym, or do you really need to solve this problem and really commit to working out at home?

I agree with you that working out at home can be surprisingly hard. I can sympathize and come up with examples and reasons. What you've described about dropping the kids off at activities and childcare and then getting to work out with your wife sounds pretty great. Maybe it's worth the expense?

But if you need to figure out a way to do it, that's not so helpful.

So some suggestions for working out at home:

1. Like everyone said, set aside the time for it. That's the most important and probably the hardest. You need to look at your schedule and figure out how to make that happen (for both you and your wife).

2. If possible set up a good space for it. If you have a dedicated space that you can use just for exercise (basement gym or something), that's great. If you don't, figure out the next best thing. If you have to move around a bunch of furniture and clutter every time your work out, that's not very appealing.

3. I suggest music. A playlist that gets you pumped to work out.

4. Do you already have a bodyweight program you want to follow? I like to do a mix of "same-old same-old things that I know are good for me" and new things for variety.

5. Rewards?

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I have such a hard time working out at home, so many distractions. No space, if I do yoga the pets are all over me, not the right equipment, etc. I much prefer the gym, sure it is sometimes social, but pretty much everyone is there to work so we all get to it. 

Plus, I am paying for it, so I don't want my money to go to waste. That's just how I am, every time I've tried working out at home, it just doesn't work. It's great that your gym has child care, I'd take advantage of that as much and as long as I could, if I were you. 

If possible, be kind. It is always possible.

Cutera