Forums are back in action! ×

Hi Guys! My name is Kenzie, and this summer I am doing an Online Gym course for school. I know how weird that sounds, but that's beside the point. For this course, I am required to do 45 minutes of physical activity but cannot do the same routine every day. I have two problems with this:

1) Just last Thursday I found out I have severe iron deficiency anemia. I get tired after around 20 minutes, so I need suggestions for that. Also, if you guys have suggestions on things to eat that are high in Iron but low on Calcium and folic acid, that would be amazing.

2) I am very bad at thinking on the spot for ideas, and I need to turn ideas in very soon to the teacher. Please let me know any fun ideas you guys have!

Thanks, Kenzie

hey! i'm a RN who used to teach classes for post-partum women leaving the hospital. anemia is an issue for new moms- first your blood volume increases but your red blood cells remain stable leading to physiologic anemia and then, of course, women lose a lot of blood having a baby and following. so, this is just to say, i've talked a lot about anemia.

• you're right- calcium blocks the absorption of iron. you can space out eating calcium rich foods w/ your iron and you should be fine.
  • in order for iron to be absorbed, vitamin c needs to be present. some iron supplements have vit c added in for this purpose. if not, just eat an orange or some lemon water with your pill (I'm assuming your supplementing?)
  • though kale has calcium it's an excellent source of iron. really, any dark leafy green is rich in iron. the darker the leaf, the richer the iron as a general rule. i like to put a little lemon on kale, massage w/ a little oil (avocado for example). Tastes good and then also you get the vit c hit in there too. if kale is gross, spinach is easier for people
  • iron supplements can make you constipated. they also can make your poop dark. do not freak out.
  • richest source of iron is lean read meat. lentils are a good vegetarian source. even better: lentil soup w/ spinach and a sprtiz of lemon
    • i can give you a recipe. i make dank lentil soup.
    • broccoli w/ lemon sauce is another idea
    • fish! halibut! also a good source
  • cooking in a cast iron actually can increase your iron intake. crazy but true

out of curiosity, i'm wondering why you want foods low in folic acid?

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World