Forums are back in action! ×

Need some help figuring out how to start

Hi. I'm trying to start getting fit without spending money so I can have better physical and mental health.

To keep it simple: I'm here to figure out how I can start my fitness journey without money. I can't walk more then an hour at a time, and 2 hours a day without getting blisters on my feet. I need a way to exercise in my room, but I can't even do a push-up, or a sit-up (even in bad form I can't). I'm looking for motion exercises that will build my core that even someone who is 450lbs of mostly fat can do, and maintain good form in, but I can't seem to find anything. I've even tried searching "workouts for people with disabilities" and still came up empty handed.

I know diet is important, and agree, but I can't always afford a good diet (I'm living on almost $3 a day right now) and if I can't figure out what exercises to do that can offset a bad diet when I can't afford a good one I'm simply not going to try.

TL;DR: Does anyone know what Taibo/Zumba motions I can do to workout my core until I can do 5 push-ups /sit-ups in good form?

Edit: So Guilds are a thing here. That's helpful. If I can get the info I need to start I'll be looking forward to trying to join the Assassins Guild. (Parkour, gymnastics is the body type I want)

Well first, before you work on your core, I'd start with weight loss. Makes the rest a bit easier.

If you can only walk 20 minutes a day, that is still good. An hour is great! So do it and put on a nice pod cast or enjoy the day. There might be some shoe trick to help with the blisters though, so hopefully someone might have some answers to that if that is the only thing stopping you from going longer. However, I'd think more than an hour a day would be a little excessive anyway for just walking.

As for eating healthier, you don't have to worry about that too much for now. I'm somewhat in the same boat as you meaning I can't eat what is suggested due to circumstances outside of my control. What I am doing is just first monitoring what I eat (using MyFitnessPal) and tracking calories. Then...I just eat a little less. So if you eat 3000 calories a day, next week make it 2,900. Then once you are comfortable there, make it 2,800. Doesn't matter if those carbs are purely ramen. If you eat less, you lose weight. Especially when you are starting in the 400s zone. Don't jump to level 20 Paleo when you need to start on level 1. Gotta learn to stand before you can learn to run.

(For their actual levels...I would download the 10 level starter guide)

As for some cool zumba, I got you bro. 

Fitness Marshall. He has people of all body types/ abilities on his channel. You can edit all his moves for yourself. 

Here is one of his videos: 

• Thanks 1

Wannabe Assassin

Current Challenge: Begin the Tutorial

The (Daily) Struggle

Oh, thank you for the awesome reply :D

Sorry for the confusion, by the way: I'm around 260lbs, not 400-ish. I just said that because my upper body muscles seem to be nearly non-existent, and my core is even worse. I often hear about doing exercises in bad form messing up peoples backs and stuff, so I'm looking for things I can do without risk of injury if I'm not doing it 100% correct.

I haven't gotten a chance to check out that video juuust yet, so I'll reply again once I do.

I did sign up for a myfitnesspal account though.

• Like 1

Hi, so I finally checked out that video and that guy's channel in general, and this guy just dances? I guess any movement really burns calories, but I was honestly hoping for something a bit more targeted to the core? If the only recommendation until I can do push-ups and sit-ups is to just move around I could get the same benefits from hitting a punching bag, or shadow-boxing right?

6 hours ago, Copen-08 said:

I could get the same benefits from hitting a punching bag, or shadow-boxing right?

Well, you'd be less likely to injure yourself with the zumba, at any rate. Can you do bodyweight squats? That's a great place to start, even just sitting on a chair and getting up without your hands, if that's where you are. You can use a broom handle or something similar in front of you with both hands, if need be. Once that's easy, you can hold onto something heavy (book, milk jug filled with water, etc.) and keep sitting up/sitting down until you can do unassisted squats.

You can use bands, wrapped around your back or a chair, to practice push & pull movements for your arms/shoulders/back (around the back of the chair when you're seated can approximate a push up, band pull aparts are great for activation and posture, and you can wrap it around a door handle or pole outside for rowing movements). If you get or have bands, other exercises like banded x walk or monster walk can help with lower body strength too. Also for legs, you can balance on one leg with the help of a back of a chair and do leg raises. If that's not comfortable, seated leg/knee raises instead.

Exercises you can do on the floor (or a bed, if that's safer/easier) include dead bugs, glute bridges, planks (from the knees to start with), bird dogs, firehydrant, donkey kick, clamshells, etc. You could look at turkish get-ups, but I suspect they may be a little advanced still for right now. A hula hoop for core. Steps ups (you can do this anywhere there's a step in your house, or outside) are a great option, just start with a height that you can safely use. Lots of options, just a matter of trying stuff to figure out where your starting point is, and going from there!

As for diet, if there's any way you can prioritise cheap protein (tinned tuna, whole chickens, eggs, cottage cheese, etc) and frozen veggies, that'll do you the most favours. Use legumes and grains for your starch (rice, lentils, whole oats, etc), or baked potatoes for the most cost effective healthy options. If it's possible (and I understand that it's not always an option) you can see if there's anywhere else in your budget that you can reallocate to food, even an extra $10/month could probably help a bit - also, explore local food aid options like stamps or food banks in your area.

Side note:

On 5/19/2018 at 10:27 AM, Copen-08 said:

If I can't figure out what exercises to do that can offset a bad diet when I can't afford a good one I'm simply not going to try.

Every little bit helps. That means walking outside every day, eating less processed foods when you can, trying new exercises, and just generally trying new things that could help that don't cost money or put you in danger of injuring yourself. It is, as most successful fat loss 'graduates' can attest, a matter of small changes over time, and you've got to start somewhere. Give yourself permission to start with tiny changes with what you CAN do now. And then continue to make small changes as your abilities change (be it financial, physical, or otherwise).

Welcome to the boards, go slow, be safe, have fun!

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...