Forums are back in action! ×

Hmmm....I never know what to title things

I am a 41 year old, happily married father of 2, sci-fi/gaming nerd that just happens to have Lupus. I found this site looking for a group of people that supported each other through the getting quest. At my biggest I was 275 lbs, currently I am sitting at 261 lbs. I joined Weight Watchers back in August of last year as well as got back into the gym. By December of last year I was down to 248 lbs and had dropped a pants size. Then Weight Watchers changed it's plan. The new plan seemed to be more about diet than it was about lifestyle eating change. I gave it a chance but just did not enjoy the new plan so I quit. Then I went back to being lazy. I would work out here and there, maybe go for a short run but nothing consistent. So I started putting the weight back on, went back to a size 40 waist jean, the extra weight caused more Lupus flair-ups and led me to fall back into the old black hole of despair. About 4 weeks ago I got tired of the pity party for one I was having daily and decided to do something about it. I signed up for a 5K, which I walked/jogged but still finished it, I started going back to the gym more frequently and just finished up my second 5K (Insane Inflatable) this past weekend. Having Lupus sucks, having Lupus and being fat sucks x10. I can't get rid of the Lupus but I can lose the weight. My biggest problem is maintaining the motivation needed to go to the gym. That's what I am hoping to get from this group mainly. I love all the articles and tips, they will be used in the future. Hopefully between all the info and having a support network I will be able to maintain motivation and get to a healthy, happy weight. I look forward to getting to know some/all of you fine folks and can't wait to see where this journey takes me.

Oh man. I have people close to me with Lupus. *hugs*

I think a lot of people here have good solid eating advice, but the usual "meat and veggies" thing always rings true. A couple of people I know with autoimmune trouble have found that Paleo has helped with energy levels and minimizing inflammatory responses. I guess the thinking is that while gluten and lactose aren't the devil incarnate, they can be harder to process and if your immune system is freaking out a little avoiding them helps. I know Lupus in men is rare and a little different - the only man I know with it got it around 50!

As for motivation to get to the gym, it can be hard without Lupus! What about home gym options? If you had a yoga mat and some dumbells lying around would you use them every day? Do you have space?

Also be kind to yourself - if you're not getting quality sleep, then kicking yourself for not working out isn't worth it!