Forums are back in action! ×

Injured. Rested. Retrained. Got job! Now for respawn.

2014-2015: Ex martial-artist/mountain-biker had kids, got out of shape, joined Nerd Fitness, hit the gym, got in great shape and fell in love with lifting.

2015: Knee injury. Shoulder injury. Walking with a cane. Lots of physical therapy. No fun at all.

2016: A little bit nervous about returning to the gym, so I worked out a little at home whilst getting into some of the free 'learn to code' websites to keep myself occupied. This progressed quite rapidly. I got quite good. In 2017 I applied for, was accepted to and attended a coding bootcamp in the city, graduated early this year and am now working as a software developer. I'm pretty amazed it's all worked out!

So what this DOES mean is I've had 6 months of super-crazy intellectual activity but also near-total inactivity: long hours, stationary job. I've thrown in the odd workout here and a few bouldering sessions and there but I can feel old injuries creeping back in and I know what worked for me last time was the accountability of the NF challenges. 

I have around 2-3kg to lose (I suspect I'm 59kg right now, 130lb, and would like to be at least 123lb before I decide to lose/gain more) and a shitload of weight to put back on the bar.

From what I can see from my old posts, my overhead press once sat around 5 x 32.5kg, I was squatting in the 40kgs but I ramped up too quickly, 1RM'd at 45kg and blasted my knee so that was clever, and deadlifted 65kg a few times but was too uncertain about my form to go for 70kg.

Right now? I'm too nervous to lift more than 25kg overhead and squat, and I just tentatively deadlifted 40kg today and thought 'crikey I used to squat this.' I still have some muscle tone but it's long lost under a layer of flub which I giving me an odd shape in skinny jeans. Do not like.

Challenge time.

• Like 1

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora