Forums are back in action! ×

Is a Bowflex a good way to do strength training?

RaeVynn

I can get one really cheap. Should I?

I don't want something that is going to mess up my training... is a bowflex a good thing, or is it as useless as the machines at the gym?

help me out here! thanks :)

You can accomplish more with your own bodyweight than you could with a Bowflex. If you're looking for a way to get in a good strength workout at home, look into progressive bodyweight resistance training. I can provide you with a few resources if you're interested.

Valar Morghulis
I could use a resource, yes. I'm currently doing the Rebel Fitness guide, and yes, it's a good workout. I was just looking at the possibility of a good (and cheap!) investment for further on..

Awesome!

First thing's first, I'd recommend getting a good home pull-up bar. All of the books I'm listing are gonna require one (unless you choose to not do pull-ups, but I wouldn't advise that because pull-ups are awesome!)

Overcoming Gravity - This is the best book on bodyweight training I've read to date. It's comprehensive. Teaches you tons of movements, and how to construct a routine.

You Are Your Own Gym - A bible of bodyweight exercises. Packed with progressions from basic to advanced.

Convict Conditioning - Another one packed with variations that range from beginner to expert, with a solid progression system.

Building the Gymnastic Body - A bit more complex, a bit more advanced, and a really awesome read for anyone interested in BW training.

7 Weeks to Ripped - Stupid title, but simple workouts and easy to follow templates.

SimpleFit is another great bodyweight resource, and as its name implies, it's simple!

If you want more recommendations, check out the Assassin's guild. We're all about BW training there.

Hope this helps!

Valar Morghulis

Building the Gymnastic Body - A bit more complex, a bit more advanced, and a really awesome read for anyone interested in BW training.

While this is an awesome book and an essential as far as I'm concerned, there is a second edition coming out soon, with lot's of revised information and tips to get started. I'd hold off buying this for now.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

I have combined the rebel fitness bodyweight brigade rank 2 with convict conditioning progressions. Sometimes, the step from lunges to assited pistol squats is too much. I have been doing strictly bodyweight for 3 and a half months, writing everything down. Here is my reccomendation:

You are starting with the rebel fitness guide right? Stick to the bodyweight brigade guide rank one....substituting any excercises you can not do with a lesser version of the same thing. Now, if you need help with substitutions, that is where other books like convict conditioning come in....or just ask here or google.

For an example, in your fitness guide, one day you do pushups, squats, chinups, and planks...and that is good. Since I am in the army, I added a 5th excercise (either "the rower" or situps...you don't have to bother with this part) and on your other workout, you may have pushups, lunges, pullups, and side planks.

Each of all of those excercises has a progrogression that is tougher and/or lessor. Take your time and do this right. Proper form is everything. I have been doing Army PT for 10 years and bodyweight excercises are an awesome foundation of strength, and it stays with you.

What I also did for my guys is to come up with a random workout of the day based on steve's "build your own workout" post. You could do the same thing, if need be. If you need any help what-so-ever, lemme know @ arkieboy72472@yahoo.com.

"Before you listen to what is said, you must first consider the source." - ME

Awesome!

First thing's first, I'd recommend getting a good home pull-up bar. All of the books I'm listing are gonna require one (unless you choose to not do pull-ups, but I wouldn't advise that because pull-ups are awesome!)

Overcoming Gravity - This is the best book on bodyweight training I've read to date. It's comprehensive. Teaches you tons of movements, and how to construct a routine.

You Are Your Own Gym - A bible of bodyweight exercises. Packed with progressions from basic to advanced.

Convict Conditioning - Another one packed with variations that range from beginner to expert, with a solid progression system.

7 Weeks to Ripped - Stupid title, but simple workouts and easy to follow templates.

SimpleFit is another great bodyweight resource, and as its name implies, it's simple!

If you want more recommendations, check out the Assassin's guild. We're all about BW training there.

Hope this helps!

NTU, I was wondering if you could point out which book you recommend for beginners vs. advanced i.e. sort them in the order you would buying them. I am putting together my birthday wish list and I definitely want to put some on there. Thx!

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

NTU, I was wondering if you could point out which book you recommend for beginners vs. advanced i.e. sort them in the order you would buying them. I am putting together my birthday wish list and I definitely want to put some on there. Thx!

Beginner

You Are Your Own Gym

Convict Conditioning

7 Weeks to Ripped

Intermediate/Advanced

Overcoming Gravity (only intermediate because it's very technical. Still, I recommend this book to all!)

Building the Gymnastic Body

As far as the order I would consider buying them:

1. Overcoming Gravity

2. Convict Conditioning

3. Building the Gymnastic Body

4. You Are Your Own Gym

5. 7 Weeks to Ripped

Ultimately, though, it depends on your goals.

Valar Morghulis
Beginner

You Are Your Own Gym

Convict Conditioning

7 Weeks to Ripped

Intermediate/Advanced

Overcoming Gravity (only intermediate because it's very technical. Still, I recommend this book to all!)

Building the Gymnastic Body

As far as the order I would consider buying them:

1. Overcoming Gravity

2. Convict Conditioning

3. Building the Gymnastic Body

4. You Are Your Own Gym

5. 7 Weeks to Ripped

Ultimately, though, it depends on your goals.

Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately I just saw that Overcoming Gravity is only available in the US. Convict Conditioning is only available for $100 as used book in Canada. :-(((

Well, I guess I go shopping when we go on vacation.

You Are Your Own Gym and 7 Weeks to Ripped go on my wish list then.

pre-Assassin

Twitter

Nope. It's sold from the US, but it's shipped all across the world. I'm in the Netherlands and I've got a copy.

I was looking at Amazon.

How much shipping did you pay to the Netherlands? Maybe I should check Germany and then have my parents bring it over in June.

pre-Assassin

Twitter

I was looking at Amazon.

How much shipping did you pay to the Netherlands? Maybe I should check Germany and then have my parents bring it over in June.

Amazon is the only place the book is sold. I paid something like 60 bucks, but that was with express shipping because I'm an impatient guy.

You'll pay 5 dollars for shipping to Canada.

Amazon is the only place the book is sold. I paid something like 60 bucks, but that was with express shipping because I'm an impatient guy.

You'll pay 5 dollars for shipping to Canada.

I tried but when I go through the ordering process it says: We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.

Unfortunately that happens with most of the products offered on Amazon.com. Not sure what the problem is but we Canadians are restricted in ordering from the States. Which totally sucks because Amazon.ca doesn't offer the same products. We literally have to drive down and get it.

pre-Assassin

Twitter

I've sent Steven (Low, author of Overcoming Gravity) a message asking if he could fix something.

EDIT: He replied, saying you should try again, since that worked for others in Canada as well. Maybe try a different type of shipping? He's looking into getting a digital version, but he doesn't know how long that will be.

Not a single person recommended trying to use the Bowflex.

I'm so proud of this forum :)

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Not a single person recommended trying to use the Bowflex.

That's because I don't let my dudebro brothers post with my account.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

To be fair, I'm sure it would make a great hat/coat rack.

The rods bend and things slip off. This I know.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Who needs a bowflex when you and your kids go go to the playground and you can workout with them, or you can just do everything you need to in an area the size of a bed you sleep on? PT is Free. Get some!

"Before you listen to what is said, you must first consider the source." - ME

Archived