Forums are back in action! ×

Mental Health Counts Too!

I wasn't sure where else to post this, so this seemed like the best spot. If this is wrong, I apologize.

It seems to me that a heavily neglected area of fitness is MENTAL health. Sure, we want washboard abs and rippling arm muscles, but if you are in some kind of mental funk, you won't be motivated to do the exercises needed to get there. I'm not just talking about having the temporary blues because you got dumped or didn't get the job you interviewed for. I am talking clinically diagnosed issues. Ones you can't just snap out of. Ones you can't just "get over," no matter how many friends tell you, "Dude, you just need to get over it."

Now I am not trying to suggest that NF adds a message board about mental health. I mean, I am sure not everyone would be comfortable airing their MH issues for fear of being stigmatized. However, I do think it is an important issue to think about. I am a huge advocate for ERASING the stigma attached to mental health issues. I have my own that I struggle with. So all I am saying is if anyone wants to talk through things, I am here for private conversation.

In my opinion, these kinds of struggles are easier when you know you don't face them alone. That's why, when everyone else thought bands like the Cure were depressing, I always found comfort in their music. I guess misery really does love company! However, there is a fine line to walk there: it is okay to take comfort in it, but you also do have to learn to fight against it. Am I saying "get over it?" No, because I know such demons are not easily defeated. What I am saying is, don't let it hold you back. Fight it. You deserve better. Hell, you ARE better.

I'm here for you.

Steve

Steve G.