Forums are back in action! ×

Back on the horse,

After almost a year of spiralling bad situations and not so nice people, I got very depressed. I stopped doing anything and started binge eating. I don't know my weight at the moment (I only weigh myself in the mornings and there hasn't been a morning where I've felt like weighing myself in a long time. My best estimate is 175lbs with almost no muscle mass, but a propensity to gain it back quickly).

I gave up on myself there, and I intend to remember why I am awesome.

My goals are simple, and complex at the same time.

• Increase strength
    I want to do aerial arts someday, and if you can't climb 20 feet up a rope with just your hands, I'll bet they laugh you out of the workshops and training classes. I'm going to measure my success by successive exercises.
    100 push ups,
    100 pull ups,
  • Increase cardio-bility
    This is for overall health, but mostly for weight loss. I used to bike everywhere. But I'd also like to be able to run short distances. I'd like to be able to:
    Bike to visit a friend in a neighbouring town.
    Run the field by my house including hill 25 laps.
  • Increase flexibility
    I want to be able to do hand balancing eventually and also to do some contortions, until I can find some instruction in those things, I'm going to just stick with yoga and stretching.
    So, do a morning yoga routine every day, just 20 minutes.
    And hopefully (if I can find the money) attend a yoga class once every few weeks to keep me inspired to do more than just the morning practice.

I'd like to work out at least four times per week. Possibly every day. I do sort of have the time.

For diet, things have been awful. I have been guilty of eating chips and twizzlers for dinner. Far far far far more frequently than I wish. In terms of diet, I would love to incorporate more meat into my diet for a paleo sort of feel, but my partner is a vegetarian and he pays for the food, so I'm just going to eat as healthily as a vegetarian can: avoid soy, pump beans and nuts and rock the veggies. ._.

My goals for eating at the moment are rather simple.

• Eat a healthy breakfast every day.
  • Make a healthy dinner for both of us every day.
  • Partake of no junk food.
  • End binge eating.

My depression is a problem so I need to contend with it as well. I'm fairly committed to working my mental issues out,

• I will go to counselling.
  • I will journal every day (possibly during/after breakfast)

I'm between projects right now and have immense amounts of free time which up until today have been spent worrying, being sad, and generally lumping it up on the couch. Today I had a talk with the epiphitree and cleaned my house and made a healthy dinner for the first time in aeons and fished up my login for this site. I hope returning after catastrophic failure is not frowned upon. ._.

Welcome back, and let us know how we can help. These sound like good goals. It's easy to fall into the chips and twizzlers trap, but you can avoid it. The best way not to eat them or be tempted is by not buying them and bringing them into your house. I have been at this for about 2 and a half years, and I still can't be trusted with a bag of chips (one package = one serving).

Archived