Forums are back in action! ×

Hi,

Despite being the daughter of PE teachers, I was a bookish, nerdy, asthmatic youth who dodged school sports by hanging out in the music practice rooms. So imagine my surprise that now, in my mid-30s, I joyfully get up at horrible o'clock in the morning in order to train before work.

I started figure skating lessons a few years ago and entered my first competition in 2010. I've already progressed further than I ever expected to, but I want that Axel! However, at this point my skating is being held back more by lack of fitness and strength than lack of skill. eg. I can barely stand or breathe, let alone do fancy footwork, by the end of an intense two-minute routine. And I can't hold my foot up for as long as I'd like in a camel spin. So I signed up for Fitocracy a month ago and discovered this site while looking for videos of the various bodyweight strength exercises. Since I'd far rather spend money on ice time than gym membership, I like the looks and ethos of this place!

My goals: On ice, obviously that Axel! But more immediately, to pass the field moves test I have coming up and to make my backspin more hit than miss (at the moment it only works about 1 in 10). And I want to compete at an international event, such as the Mountain Cup/Oberstdorf. Strength-wise, when I started Fitocracy I could only do 4 incline push-ups without faceplanting onto my desk and am now up to sets of 10/12 kneeling. I'm aiming for 20 full push-ups. I also want to work on abs and glutes.

Any guidance on which guild skaters belong in? I'd guess Assassins. (My skating coach and I are planning to try out a Parkour class this summer)

Nice to meet you all!

"she interpreted falling down not merely as a means of improving, but as evidence that she was improving." - Matthew Syed on Shizuka Arakawa.Frost elf assassin after 4 challenges: STR: 11 | DEX: 12 | STA: 7.5 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA: 5.5My Fitocracy profile"

Welcome!

I would guess your goals and training fit into the Assassins guild, also.

I'm so jealous of Parkour-ers! (Obviously I could start it, but it's not a high enough priority for me right now.) I bet you'll have fun at the class.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Thanks unicornassassin! The parkour classes look great - there's an indoor induction with safety mats before they take us out into the real world!

"she interpreted falling down not merely as a means of improving, but as evidence that she was improving." - Matthew Syed on Shizuka Arakawa.Frost elf assassin after 4 challenges: STR: 11 | DEX: 12 | STA: 7.5 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA: 5.5My Fitocracy profile"

Archived