Forums are back in action! ×

I'd rather be a cheetah than a housecat

Just like every cat I've ever known, I've always thought napping in a sunbeam was a better option than...well, pretty much anything else. It's hard to level up your life that way!

In high school and college I refused to work out, play sports of any kind, or do anything remotely physically challenging because I had a morbid fear of people "seeing me." That, plus a love of dessert, led to slooowly gaining about 10 pounds over the course of several years. It bothered me a little, but not enough to do anything about it.

Then I got strong-armed into signing up for a 5-k race with a bunch of my co-workers shortly after joining a new job. Terrified that I would make a complete fool of myself, I jumped headlong into training. To my complete and utter surprise, I found that once I had a bit of an athletic base established, I LOVED to run. WHO KNEW.

After that I was running all the time...tons of 5ks, some middle distance races, and a handful of half marathons - which I NEVER in a million years thought I'd enjoy. But I did! Pretty much the best thing ever.

But then I got injured and I got married (two years ago today!) and I really haven't done anything since then. I had some depression issues around that same time, and looking back I think my doctor was much too quick to medicate me - I believe that alternative therapies like using a lightbox, eating better, getting back into a regular exercise routine, etc. would have helped just as much, if not more, than prozac. Plus, I had no appetite when I was on the medication, and quickly dropped about 8 lbs because I was eating next to nothing. It was massively unhealthy and I knew it, and didn't stay on the medication for more than a few months.

I've worked very hard to get my mental house in order over the past year - I've worked with life coaches, done a lot of navel-gazing and focused intensely on ways to change my perspective for the better. I found that as I did that, my desire to work out returned.

And now my motivation is back! I'm so excited to be running again and can't believe I ever let it fall to the wayside. I am as focused on getting fit and healthy as a cat following a laser pointer. I've registered for some races this summer and will definitely be running a half in the fall (either the Rock n Roll Half in Philly in September, or the BAA Half in Boston in October - haven't decided which one yet).

I've been a longtime reader of NF and have lurked the forums on and off for a little while, but then when I saw the post about the new challenge starting yesterday I knew I had to jump right in.

It's obvious immediately that you guys are awesome - so pumped to be joining you!!

Current Challenge: Roocifer's Eat and Run Challenge | Fitocracy

Level 2 Scout: STR: 4.25 | DEX: 8.75 | STA: 8.75 | CON: 6 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.75

I feel my boots trying to leave the ground, I feel my heart pumping hard, I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable and beautiful and afraid of nothing, as though I had wings. - Mary Oliver

Hey unicornassassin, thanks for the welcome!

Current Challenge: Roocifer's Eat and Run Challenge | Fitocracy

Level 2 Scout: STR: 4.25 | DEX: 8.75 | STA: 8.75 | CON: 6 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.75

I feel my boots trying to leave the ground, I feel my heart pumping hard, I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable and beautiful and afraid of nothing, as though I had wings. - Mary Oliver

Archived