Forums are back in action! ×

Hello! I've been lurking on here off an on for a couple of years and rediscovered the site a couple of days ago. It's time for some public accountability! 

Status: Quintessential skinny fat workaholic. I've always been slim but I'm in my 30's now and my belly looks like a sad 3 day old balloon. I'm fortunate in that my diet is already pretty great through no fault of my own (don't throw things at me, it's not my fault). I'm coeliac so don't eat refined grains, grow most of my own veg and I don't really have a sweet tooth (I said don't throw things!). I could do with drinking less of the falling-down-water though. 

Targets: Swap some fluff for some muscle. Realistically what I'm aiming for is to make some decisions that 50 year old me isn't going to hate me for. I look at my parents whom I adore but they are both hugely overweight, heavily medicated for a variety of related issues and bless 'em I want more mobility and less fabric yardage when I'm in my 60's. I don't want the osteoporosis and arthritis that comes with the weight and the lack of exercise . For them those were the causes, not for everyone of course. 

Tool kit: I joined a gym 3 weeks ago, did 3 sessions then promptly caught plague. I've been back this week now my face has stopped leaking. I predominantly use gym time to lift things but I need to work on my basic strength before I start getting ambitious and pick up the free weights so machines and good old fashioned lunges / squats are it for now. I've also started the couch to 5 k again which I've completed in the past but lost all my running ability.  

The reward: 3 things actually. I've moved to a new area and want to meet some people so I'd like to join a running club. Once I can waddle through a 5k I will start that. I'm actually looking forward to hanging out with some like minded nerds. Secondly when the belly looks more like a belly and less like a sad inflatable I will treat myself to a suitably geeky tattoo on it (I have many but always cringe at the thought of the poor artist having to manhandle me to get a smoothish surface to work on. I'm sure this paranoia is entirely in my head and plenty of fabulous people bigger than me have awesome tattoos on their belly and they rock them). And finally I get a smug factor of 10 for getting just being fit and healthy. 

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 1