Forums are back in action! ×

Kettle Bell Dead Lifts ?

Lolken

Could you replace barbell dead lifts with kettle bell dead lifts and get the same results ?

I'm looking to get set up at home as much as possible so that when areas of the gym are crowded or i cant make it due to other obligations, i can get a similar workout at home.

A barbell set isn't a space friendly as some kettle bells.

I've done Romanian deadlifts with a kettlebell. I don't think they're ever going to give the same results as barbell deadlifts just because you're not hoisting as much weight, but it's a good hamstring exercise anyway.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

KettleBell swings for that hip movement. Otherwise as notanartmajor says, you'll max out deadlifting your biggest kettlebell really quickly.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Does the badass-ness of the kettlebells have any bearing on their deadlift suitability?

[0x0]1268-634670916634820000.jpg

I think I saw a study that showed that badass kettlebells develop 1.84 times as much muscle during deadlifts as regular round kettlebells.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

The kettles at my gym only go up to 40/50. I dead at least 75...if the barbells and bars are all taken, what about dumbbells? I used to do one legged deadlifts with a kettlebell, and they had results.

dumb bell dead lifts could be good, what kind of change would we see in 2 dumb bells vs 1 bar bell. i would imagine the dumb bells require more control and over all a little more work ?

Those kettlebells are all kinds of awesome!

dumb bell dead lifts could be good, what kind of change would we see in 2 dumb bells vs 1 bar bell. i would imagine the dumb bells require more control and over all a little more work ?

Dumbell Deadlifts are ok as a substitute, you're still lifting the iron. As you figured, it is harder to keep the form. ie, in keeping your chest up whilst keeping the weights in the right position when you get to lockout at the top.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Archived